What was the major update to the Intel X25 G2 SSD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GoCubsGo, Oct 29, 2009.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

In comparing the Intel X25-M Gen 1 against the Gen 2 it is difficult for me to see this mega difference in performance. While I get there is a performance difference, it's very clear, I wonder if there is something else that I am missing.

Even the Gen 1 is going to rip over any 7200 RPM drive that may be in my future MBP, but I wonder if I am missing an important upgrade/update to the SSD such as the long-awaited trim feature.

Does anyone have any insight?

If you missed the link here is the comparison at Anandtech.com between the two generations.

And fwiw, I know there is a thread on this technically, but I'm looking for something a bit more.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

The G2's went to a smaller die size on the Flash used (each chip has greater capacity), and there's some firmware changes, most notably on the 160GB model.

On the Windows side, TRIM support has been provided, but still nothing on the OS X side here.

But more importantly, the MSRP's were lowered compared to the G1's. Street prices however, have been higher than MSRP (gouging over limited supplies of G2 drives). Personally, it seems an intentional ploy to move the remaining stocks of G1's lying around.

3. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

So after I read a little more on the smaller die size on the Flash (google is my friend) and since the 160GB model is what I want I think the G2 is worth it.

If I understand the size of the die matters in terms of "good" space. Maybe I am not correct, but that is my basic understanding thus far. So the die is the Flash Manufacturing Process? Which went from 50nm to 34nm?

Thanks for the response. All this talk on SSDs I was hoping someone would take the time to help.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yep. The die shrink is the G1's used 50nm, and the Postville's (G2's) are using 34nm Flash. That's really all that's actually changed in terms of hardware.

The benefit is lower production costs, which was reflected in the MSRP's Intel published on the new models. Any other changes are essentially software (though it's stored in the drive's firmware).

Of the current G2's, the 160GB model is the way to go for performance and capacity. ;) It's just the last I looked, the street prices were hideous. :(

5. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I can now find the 160 GB for $488. Not the ideal price but say I want to buy now, that's the price. I haven't picked up my MBP yet. I was hoping to get my MBAir SuperDrive modded and buy the optibay. Anyway, all rambling aside I'm set (as I was before) on the G2. Thanks for your input.

6. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

$488 isn't ideal for the X-25M G2 160GB? That's surprising... The cheapest I've ever seen was $449 the day it was released on NewEgg, and it sold out within an hour.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Given what the street prices have been lately, that's actually quite good. :eek: :p