What was the point of getting a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xi mezmerize ix, Jun 16, 2010.

1. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Most of the people I see on this website use an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor with their MBP. :confused: Why? Might as well have gotten a desktop.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Because some people want more screen space and use it on a desk, while still wanting to be able to move it around easily. Duh? :confused: "Most" people I see on these forums make no mention of using an external keyboard/mouse/monitor.

3. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I have only read of 2 or 3 people on here claiming to use a setup such as you describe.

I suppose they do it because they want to, like you want to use the dreadful past participle gotten.:)

4. xi mezmerize ix thread starter macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Maybe it is just the threads that I read, but it seems like there are a lot. I also see quite a few on Youtube and they do not ever seem like the kind of people that need the mobility of a notebook.

5. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I must admit that after posting, the next 3 threads I looked at were written my people using their MBPs in the manner you describe.

6. lukester macrumors 6502

Why not?

Why not buy a computer that can be a desktop and be mobil when you need it to?

Why have 2 computers?

7. iBunny macrumors 65816

Additional Monitor for when im at home. And I take my MBP to work with me every day..

So, thats why a MBP.

8. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Most of the time my MBP is connected to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I like having the option of bringing it with me places (school, work, vacation, parents house, friends house, etc) or even just sitting on the couch using it.

Is it really that hard of a concept to understand, or are you just trying to get a rise out of people?

Either way it makes you look really foolish.

9. xi mezmerize ix thread starter macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Maybe I should change my question a bit. What is the point of the keyboard, mouse, and display? I use my MBP all the time for almost anything, and everything works fine. The keyboard is the only keyboard I have ever been able to use without accidentally pushing other keys, the trackpad is marvelous, and I think the screen is the perfect size and resolution.

10. iamuurme macrumors newbie

totally agreed. get an imac :D

11. aigoya macrumors member

I use external keyboard/mouse/monitor when at home.

Reasons:
    1. My external monitor is huge, and easier on the eyes. I have a bigger real estate and like to watch videos from across the room.
    2. External keyboard allows me to mash more, and type as hard as i want. And it gives me a more 'natural' feel because i generally dont place my wrists on the surface of my mbp when i type.
    3. External mouse for greater control/precision. Never know when I feel like playing some games.

If i only used this setup 100% of the time, i would have probably not gotten my mbp. But I do take it to work everyday and use it there. So like someone said, i have a comfy 'desktop' setting as well as a portable on the go type of setting.

12. kasakka macrumors 68000

I move my laptop between work and home. Both have a keyboard, mouse and external display available and I use them 90% of the time. The laptop is essentially just an easily movable desktop machine. I much prefer using a big high res display to the 13" MBP display and also prefer a mouse to the trackpad.

13. xi mezmerize ix thread starter macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

I guess this sort of setup bothered me because no one seemed to use the mbp as a mobile device...it was just basically a desktop that they had the option to use as mobile even though they would never do so. But the way you do it seems to make sense.

14. Reapur macrumors regular

This thread is a great example of not thinking for about 2 sec. Is it really that hard to figure out that a laptop is mobile while a desktop computer stays at home...?

15. xi mezmerize ix thread starter macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Well my whole gripe was that it was a mobile device that many people used as a non-mobile device. No need to be a dick about it. :(

16. sadcamper macrumors regular

Who cares? $$$'s not coming out of your pocket...let people buy what they want! ;)

In my case, every iMac I bought had a display issue...I needed a computer, didn't want a PC, so I went with a MBP. I've yet to buy a separate keyboard, mouse, etc., but I may in the future.

17. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I've noticed this also, particularly in the post your setup treads. One addition to the keyboard, mouse, monitor combo that I've seen is speakers (sometimes fairly large). I've only ever owned desktop computers, but the allure of mobile computing appeals to me, even if it's only my living room or bedroom, but I wonder if the built-in keyboard, trackpad, display and speakers of a notebook (particularly a 13" MBP) would satisfy me? :confused:

18. aigoya macrumors member

There are laptops out there that are meant to be desktop replacements. I have a gaming laptop that weighs over 7 lbs. It's not very mobile by any means, sporting a 2 hour battery life under normal usage.

Desktop = home
    Laptop !=/= mobile

19. xi mezmerize ix thread starter macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

I am not stopping them. They can waste their money as they please.

20. Reapur macrumors regular

What does it even matter how people use THEIR computers? Connecting an external display allows you to extend your desktop across two displays, or if you have a high rez 27incher or 30 incher you expand your desktop workspace resolution. When you have to go on location in my case, a photo shoot you can bring your MBP with you and offload images from your DSLR and wipe the compact flash card. In fact using a MBP like this makes it even more versatile than a stationary desktop.

I dont see the confusion and im not being a dick im being brutally honest. Big difference :)

21. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Number 1 reason is I prefer the user experience of using a desktop over a laptop. When I'm sitting at my desk I prefer to have my 24" screen instead of a 13" laptop screen. I like having a number pad. A real, full size mouse is also a preference to me.

Dont get me wrong, I love the multitouch glass trackpad and I couldn't live without it on the go, however, theres nothing my MX Revolution can't do better.

All these things said, I do take my laptop with me from time to time, so I require a bit of portability. I do not have the need/money/or want of another computer.

22. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

It doesn't matter, but, here on the forums it's common to share this kind of thing.

In my case I only know one person that has a laptop and he use's it away from his desktop Mac in his home. He doesn't have a keyboard or monitor or speakers for it, just a bluetooth Mighty Mouse.

Thank you for posting about how you use your laptop as a desktop and a laptop it puts some meaning behind all the setups I've seen that I've not really known how they were used.

23. Reapur macrumors regular

Title of the thread is pertaining to MBPs, as is this entire section of the forum. I dont see why you used a Windows based gaming laptop as an example really.

24. aigoya macrumors member

Windows based laptop or not, you generalized 'a laptop' and 'a desktop computer'. 'A' pertains to any particular or certain one of a class or group, so I took it just as that.

Now if you said MBPs are for portability and iMacs are for home usage, I'd have no problems with that.

25. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Apparently I've been using my laptop all wrong up until this point. Thanks for turning my life around.