What was your major in college?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Bazilemac, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Bazilemac macrumors regular

And are you still in your major field today? GO

PS Im just curious as I'm going through the daunting phase of picking a major right now. Want to pick something I enjoy but also want to be able to get a well paying job for a single person (i have no plans for kids or a family haha. At least for a while) afterwards.

2. djplaxe2109 macrumors 6502

3. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Chemical engineering. It was brutal, yet rewarding

4. saratoga172 macrumors newbie

Management of information systems. Really enjoyed it. Some hard parts like all majors but I enjoyed learning.

I'm a sysadmin 3 years or of school. In the path to be managing an it dept. I'd say still in it.

Think about what you like to do. Also take a class or two in the major you declare right away. It'll help you decide if you like it or is for you. I started as a comp sci major but switched once i took my first official programming class.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

BS in mechanical engineering

MS in atmospheric science

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

7. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Computer network administration and working I'm working in that field too.

9. malman89 macrumors 68000

History/Classical Civilizations/Poli Sci.

I was considering the JD route, but skipped that (anything but T-14) sham. The Ph.D in History route was a second option, but I figured I would work a bit to figure things out. Been working in the non-profit realm since.

Going back to school for Accounting. Not really married to the non-profit sector either, so I'm keeping my options open for after I finish my classes.

10. Ann P macrumors 68020

BA in Economics, worked for a drug compounding company and going for my PharmD right now.

11. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

umm.... biological chemistry and social sciences, and yes still studying in that field... can never learn enough ;)

12. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

13. dianestory2 macrumors 6502

Communication/Video Marketing, and English/Business writing.

I do marketing now, not much video, though :(

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Started out in Journalism, then I made the mistake of skipping my math class as I found a computer lab. Hung out there way too long, and got a job there. Next semester, switched to Computer Science, with cognate area being Unix systems Administration.

Been a Unix/Linux sysadmin for 21 years, and working on getting out of it.

BL.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Majored in Music Education until I met a girl.

The rest goes downhill from there.

That's right. Peace was working to be a Professor in Music.

Wanted to teach those that wanted to learn instead of those that were forced to learn.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

17. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

18. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

I graduated with a BS in Computer Science and started working for a company in the Aerospace Defense industry. Spent the first couple years rewriting legacy applications and creating tools to interface between our in house apps and first party systems like SAP. Got burned out so I decided to switch and have been working in the finance organization (for the same company) for a few years now. Currently working on my MBA and should be done in May.

19. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

20. Jws macrumors regular

BS Accounting/BA Spanish

I work as an auditor, so I'm still in my field. Although, I only graduated a year and a half ago.

21. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Undergrad in HR/bus/mgt, some JD/MBA course work but worked in many areas including 'puters.

Before I finished the business route I took a small vacation as an English Creative Writing major and spent time as missionary in Belfast and loved those things but couldn't imagine what work there would be for me. I stuck with parents' suggestions and did the practical stuff instead.

Had I done it all over again I would have stuck with writing and creative things.

22. samiwas macrumors 65816

I started college majoring in Civil Engineering, because that's what my father convinced me would be a "financially solid field". I had no desire to be an engineer, but at that point in my life, I was kind of beholden to the parents. I had always been a very creative person, and always interested in lighting and computer stuff, and theatre.

So, I went off to school to study engineering. I lasted less than a year. Once I started Calculus 3, I realized that this is not how I wanted to spend my life. So after some talking with the college advisor, and a highly emotional call to my parents, I switched my major to Theatre Design and Production, in which I received my BFA. My father was petrified that I would turn out to be a starving artist delivering pizzas for a living.

However, since the day I graduated, I have been gainfully employed doing all sorts of different lighting jobs in the entertainment industry. The only times I've accepted a dollar from my parents since graduation was when our special-needs son required a procedure that insurance did not cover (15 years after graduation).

Besides theatre, I've also been active in concert production, large-scale corporate events, touring ice shows, large-scale museum exhibits, television shows, and feature films. I get to create not only with my passion for lighting, but also with the computer stuff (drawings, 3d models, databases, networking, etc). I'm doing exactly what I wanted to do since I was a kid, and making some pretty good money while doing it (had one six figure year). During the height of things, I was doing well enough that I only had to work outside of the house about 6 months a year.

Contrast this to my siblings who both went to high dollar schools, and one who followed with law school. One was bankrupt and debt-ridden within ten years and had to sell her condo just to get out of debt, while the other just couldn't seem to find himself and is currently job hunting in a new city.

Having the "right" degree is no guarantee that you will make good money, just as having a so-called "useless" degree, or no degree at all is no guarantee that you will be forever poor. What matters is your knowledge and passion for what you want to do.

23. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Molecular biology, now wrapping up in medical school.

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

25. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

+1 Great post and I hope the kids thinking college here will read it!

Life is too short and one should do what they want. My parents thought that I would quit being a rock and roll musician so they sent me off to college at 18. Though I so wish I got that creative related BFA too like you, I did get the safe boring degree but played music a good 15 years after high school so it was a compromise.

I wish I had the guts you did and made up my mind before I graduated and put my foot down. Us creative types, whether we are good or not, usually don't end up as happy doctors, accountants, and chemical engineers.