What was your reasoning for SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chefwong, Mar 13, 2011.

1. chefwong macrumors regular

Energy savings, etc...

I'm typing this on my late 2008 MBP awaiting my new i7 MBP to use as my daily workhorse. Current rig has 7200RPM drive.

I also have a MBP AIR....

So granted the SSD is blaxingly fast and once apps are open, it's all one and the same to a degree, what's the additional benefit of SSD. I'm debating whether to spring for a Intel for the OS/APP drive.

In my world, since I do constantly have a VM open, I do believe there are benefits to this . But on the OSX side of the house, just short of fast OS boot (which I hardly ever need unless System Updates requires a reboot), my apps are generally ~open~ in general.

2. mehanika Guest

Was there a question in there??

I love SSD for it smooth and fast perfomance..
    The pricetag for the GBs is however absurd. I have a 80gb, i hope it will be enough for my new MBP.

I would never buy another SSD however, i would go with a Hybrid harddrive like Seagate's Momentus XT.

3. dwhynman macrumors regular

4. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Speed for sure. That is, if you can stomach the costs...

6. skiltrip macrumors 68030

My reasons would be...

1.) silence
    2.) speed

That said, I'm waiting for prices to drop.

7. amcneil macrumors newbie

With respect to SSDs, should you be concerned about the amount of space available on the new MB Pros? I went to the Apple Store to look around, and noticed that on all of the MB Pros there was about 70GB of used space on every model. (e.g., on the stock 350 Gbs, the HDD only showed 280GB of available space in the Finder). If one were to start with only a 128GB SSD, that only leaves about 50GBs available for use.

8. RKpro macrumors 6502

Those were my reasons.
    In my late 2008 15", the fans are inaudible at 2000rpm, and they never spin up unless I'm encoding a video. Since installing the intel ssd a year ago, I've been spoiled by the dead silence, I can't use any other laptop, the humming drives me nuts now. I live in a very quiet residential area, and I can hear the slight buzzing of the magsafe adapter but I can't hear my computer working. So I put the magsafe under the desk, and enjoy the silence.

9. Tapiwa macrumors member

There's WAY less than 70 gb of used space on a new mac.
    I have a 128 gb SSD myself and while I unfortunately don't remember exactly, I believe that I had over 100 gb of free space.

I think that a possible explanation would be that the macbooks at the Apple stores have all sorts of things on them that wouldn't be on a new mac like apps, videos and photos for demo purposes.

For some people 128 gb wouldn't be enough space but it all comes down to what your needs are. I don't see myself running out of space anytime soon...
    After going SSD, there's no going back :D

10. preppy macrumors member

preppy

Definitely silence and speed...and I am paranoid about the spinning platters because I had a few HDD fail on me with my old 2.4 Santa Rosa and Dell's...not to say SSD's are fail proof...

...and also because I could....if I didn't have the extra cash, I wouldn't have gotten it...

11. Raqem macrumors newbie

One time something fell on the table my laptop was on, and that jolt was enough to kill the hard drive. It lived long enough to do one more Time Machine backup (clicking the whole time) so I could restore it to a new hard drive. That's why I'm going SSD. I just don't worry about giving my iPad a little shake and would like my laptop to be the same.:)

12. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

1) Speed
    2) Silence

those are my two main reasons I got one.

shake / bump is not really a priority to me, but very valid.

Reasons to not use an SSD is storage however. Until prices come down that will be a big factor for many.

13. rebby macrumors 6502

Like the others, speed. I keep a spindle in the Optibay as well since I have a need for quite a bit of storage as well.

14. sdneidich macrumors member

There is one other big, big reason you would want to go with SSD over HDD. Data loss.

HDD's have moving parts: specifically, a needle-like device is the reader. In a desktop that doesn't matter... But in a laptop, shuffling around on your butt with the computer on your lap can cause quite some problems. Yes, the Mac has a motion sensor to disengage the reader when motion is sensed... But that means that when it happens, the hard drive has to stop running in order to deal with the motion. and there is always the risk the motion sensor will fail, and the reader will crash into the hard drive, damaging the information and possibly even permanently damaging the drive.

A SSD has no moving parts, so you can move it without fear of the hard drive being damaged.

15. jrichie macrumors regular

As Rebby......

128gb SSD for apps and OSX

500gb 7200 HD in the optibay for itunes, movies, files and bootcamp partition

Sounds like the best of all worlds to me :)

I have required the use of a superdrive only 1 time since using a macbookair so have no doubts at all I won't be missing it in my MBP, and will still have it available externally for the odd time it is required.

16. rebby macrumors 6502

I don't miss the SuperDrive either. Anytime that I need it I'm at my desk so it's easy enough to hook up a USB drive.

17. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Ehhh... that may or may not be true. A friend of mine has went through 2 SSD's in the last 2 years. Meanwhile, knock on wood, I haven't had old school hard drives randomly go bad in my laptops yet.

18. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

My MBP had just over 100gb free.

19. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

20. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Speed and noise mainly (my old 320GB HDD was very noisy).

I was only using ~40GB on my MBP, so I figured a 120GB would be fine, and it is.

21. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

durability (no spinning platters or heads to crash)
    speed

22. aleni macrumors 68020

i use my MBP alot on bed, so there will be alot movement of placement around the bed, with SSD, i'm not afraid of moving my MBP alot like crazy because it has no spinning platter like HDD.

and of course silence operation and speed. i can't even imagine if someday i would have to go back to HDD. i'd rather spend quite alot of money on SSD than to go back with traditional HDD.