What water bottle do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fireshot91, Nov 28, 2009.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Recently, my family's doctor told my mother that the plastic water bottles aren't healthy, since some of the plastic can/most likely does come off, and is cancerous. So, my mom completely refuses to buy water bottles, and since I can't drink water unless it's out of a water bottle, she offered to buy me a stainless steel water bottle. Even though I've continuously told her that I don't drink water from our home is because it tastes different, and the water bottles taste fine (Not good per se, since it's water, but not bad).

I've been told before that pure water has no taste, and you only taste the chemical impurities of it, so I'm assuming the water coming into our house is more impure than the water bottles I buy (Deer Park/Wegman's brand/Anything really).

Anyways, any recommendations? Obviously the cheaper the better...

2. daflake macrumors 6502a

Sigg....

They make a nice metal bottle that is coated on the inside.

http://mysigg.com/

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Does it have to be aluminum? I vote for nalgene. I use them quite frequently but more when I worked in an office.

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

5. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

We have a filter...and after the water is filtered it tastes 'bad' (To me of course, my family doesn't notice it).

6. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

sooooo where are you going to be getting the water you put in your new water bottle?
    one more vote for Nalgene

7. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

That's...what I've been trying to explain to her. :p.

She'd rather have me not like the water, than me buying bottled water.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Tell your mum it's waterbottles that are used on bicycles with the quick release cap that were noted as being possibly dangerous but only with direct sunlight. Bottled water like volvic etc come in perfectly safe bottles. Have you thought about a juice pack like used for hiking? I have 3 different sizes none of wich taint the water in any way.

9. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

The "cancerous" components of a water bottle are only released if the bottle is left in heat or direct sunlight for an extended period of time. If you don't reuse the bottles and keep them out of the direct sun for a long period of time, you will be completely fine.

As for tap water, that's completely fine and safe to drink. Most places add things to the water like fluoride that might have an effect on the taste. The other thing that affects the taste of the water is what the source is. Water that comes from an underground spring will taste more pure than water that comes from a reservoir.

I know that doesn't answer your question but hopefully it clears up some stuff.

10. kai- macrumors newbie

I second Sigg. I have their bottles and absolutely love them. Their aluminum bottle has an odourless, and tasteless lining inside. Can't go wrong with what the swiss make.

It may taste bad due to the chemicals that are used to treat the water. Is the water coming from a fresh source or is it recycled water?

Filters don't always filter the water 100% clean. Depending on your filter, it will still leave certain particulates, and chemicals in it. Things like chlorine and fluoride are added to the water.

11. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

No idea what type of filter is being used. I'm sure the VA Government filters it before it even reaches our house, and then we use the in-built filter/water source thing of our refrigerator.

12. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

How old is the filter?

If I go to long without replacing the filter, then the water tastes worse than tap.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The EPA has higher standards and guidelines than the FDA on water, so tap water is actually better than bottled. And its way cheaper.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Mind you, aluminium is poisonous to the human body. It has a coating on the inside for this very reason. Yes, the lining works at protecting people, but it wears out, and is still prone to damage if the bottle is dented.

For this reason, I don't understand why everyone recommends Sigg. People say they recommend Sigg because "It's good," but think about what it is. All it has to do is hold water. :p Siggs do that as good or bad as any other bottle maker. Sigg's marketing must be pretty amazing, or perhaps their bottles are just that pretty.

Well the OP wants something that can hold water and not be poisonous or dangerous. If that's what you want, avoid all the aluminium bottle makers and go with a Kleen Kanteen stainless steel bottle. That, or one of the BPA free plastic bottles (nalgene being just one of the companies out there) and don't drink the water inside if it's 2 weeks old or something. Should be easy enough.

15. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

It's probably because they don't intend to grind up and inhale or eat the Sigg water bottle.

Alumninum is only poisonous if you ingest or inhale a lot of it. I don't see how that's going to happen if you're drinking out of an aluminum container.

Saying drinking out of an aluminum bottle will poison you is a lot like saying that you'll get cyanide poisoning from eating an apple since the seeds contain it.

I've heard people talk about aluminum bottles being "poisonous" before, but most of the people who talk about the "dangers" of aluminum bottles drink canned sodas and other drinks that sit in aluminum cans for months to years before being ingested.

I'd be much more worried about drinking all of the garbage that's accumulated in the old, worn out filter in your fridge!

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Well I never implied that you'd die of poisoning if you had anything to do with aluminium cans. The concern is called 'aluminium leeching', and like leeching in other materials, the effects (if there are any) aren't instantaneous. However, doing so over a number of years may have some effect. If there wasn't, then there would be no need for a coating inside. Even Coke cans that you and I drink from are coated inside, and are not actually consumed years after production. They're consumed, and not refilled over and over again like a person's water bottle.

And apples are different because cyanide isn't thought to accumulate in the body over time. That's the concern over aluminium leeching and what not.

I'm not saying Sigg bottles are evil or something.

What I'm saying is that for the same price and function, why not buy the product we know is NOT made from a material that's considered poisonous to the body? :confused: This is especially true if you're interested in buying a new bottle for health concerns.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Just stick tap water into the refrigerator in an old glass pitcher and leave it overnight ... then you won't need an expensive filter to get rid of the chlorine taste.

18. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

or you could just dump a crapload of sugar into it :p

19. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

OP, where are you going to get your water from? If your mom won't buy plastic bottles of water and you don't like tap water where will you get your water from?

20. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Well, mother does not care if I like the taste or not. :eek: So, I'll be getting it from the tap, it's just, I drink a lot of water if it's bottled, whether it be plastic or a re-usable one. I guess if it's in a bottle in front of me, I keep on sipping at it. Instead of in a glass, I take what I need and then put the glass away.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Klean Kanteen classic 27 oz. Do they make silver in that? I can't seem to find it on their site, but the pictures show silver....

21. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I've just started using a Sigg. It's not too shabby, and you can also check them out in person at Target or Whole Foods.

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

23. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

My favorite bottles are CamelBak's Better Bottles. They come in stainless and polycarbonate (BPA free) versions. Love them.

24. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Buy a few cases of this and everyone will want to be you. Plus, its in glass so no toxins (I think).
    http://most-expensive.net/bottled-water

In all seriousness I use a kleen canteen aluminum bottle or bike water bottles, but I think the later probably have BPAs somewhere in the manufacturing process. The kleen kanteen works pretty well (in other words it doesn't leak), but the paint has gotten pretty banged up on mine. I would go with the stainless finish if I were to buy another.