Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cinealta

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
I have a cMP that I am using exclusively for Logic Pro X. It works flawlessly on ML 10.8.5. However I understand that Mavericks has some kind of dynamic RAM allocation that will allow me to utilize all my available RAM (48 Gb).

If I don't need any social features (eg Notification Center, Dashboard) or additional security (don't surf the web) is RAM usage the only benefit of Mavericks? Will a downside of Mavericks be no TRIM support for my SSDs? Thanks for your advice!

Last edited:

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
I have a cMP that I am using exclusively for Logic Pro X. It works flawlessly on ML 10.8.5. However I understand that Mavericks has some kind of dynamic RAM allocation that will allow me to utilize all my available RAM (48 Gb).

If I don't need any social features (eg Notification Center, Dashboard) or additional security (don't surf the web) is RAM usage the only benefit of Mavericks? Will a downside of Mavericks be no TRIM support for my SSDs? Thanks for your advice!

My own personal experience with Mavericks is on my Macbook Pro 13 inch late 2011 with 4GB of RAM and I felt the memory compression in Mavericks made better use of the limited RAM than with Mountain Lion. Obviously that is a little different to your 48GB situation.

The other big advantage of Mavericks is that it will be supported for longer than Mountain Lion.

I have since upgraded to 16GB as I'm now running emulators (QEMU) and Virtual Machines (VMware Fusion). I have never felt tempted to go back to Mountain Lion.

I'm also running TRIM on my Crucial SSD without problems. I believe that Yosemite is the one where you might encounter problems with TRIM.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1740457/
http://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/

Mavericks is fine with TRIM.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
If your's is a production machine and it runs well, you should probably just stick with the setup that you currently have. Most likely, the update will change absolutely nothing, but there is always a small chance that something will go wrong.

Suspended
Sep 16, 2013
Do not upgrade. Like said above if your computer works and you use it for production then keep it working for as long as possible.

Lots of problems with audio interfaces that HAVE NOT BEEN FIXED came up with the introduction of mavericks and energy saving technologies.

maverics is great on the battery life and gets me hours more on my macbook air than ML but on my imac i notice hardly any difference and now there are issues with audio

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.