What we need is a tablet like this...

steve jr.

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2005
Akron, OH
dmw007 said:
Very nice indeed. Hopefully when Apple makes the switch to Intel we will see a 'Tablet w/ a Pentium M processor inside.
You will get a tablet that looks like this:

Those are directly from the US Patent and Trademark Website with a quick search "Apple Computer."

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
mad jew said:
Am I the only one who thinks that tablet looks like crap? Come one, Apple would never sign off on something like that.
No I've never been taken much by them at all. It would take me a lot of convincing that it would be better than a laptop for everyday use for the vast majority of people.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
mad jew said:
Am I the only one who thinks that tablet looks like crap? Come one, Apple would never sign off on something like that.
A lot of the PC tablets I've seen are aweful. Idealy I would like to see something that look like the screen of my Pismo or another PowerBook or iBook. Keep the buttons to a minimum (e.g., 0 or 1 :)).

One problem is the screen surface will likely eventually get scratched. My Handspring Visor is showing it's age one the screen. Mostly in the writing area but some in the display area.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
pubwvj said:
A lot of the PC tablets I've seen are aweful. Idealy I would like to see something that look like the screen of my Pismo or another PowerBook or iBook. Keep the buttons to a minimum (e.g., 0 or 1 :)).

Yeah, I wouldn't mind something in keeping with the Mac line (like the patent seems to be) but the PC ones (like 99% of PC laptops) looks horrible. Maybe it's just because I'm so used to beautiful Mac hardware, but their designs are simply unacceptable.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
mad jew said:
Yeah, I wouldn't mind something in keeping with the Mac line (like the patent seems to be) but the PC ones (like 99% of PC laptops) looks horrible. Maybe it's just because I'm so used to beautiful Mac hardware, but their designs are simply unacceptable.
True dat.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
mad jew said:
*grin* And so we answer the question that has been repeatedly posted on the MacIntel threads: "Why would anyone buy a Mac if it uses the same processor as a cheaper Windows machine?" Because it is so much more elegant, better integrated, lasts longer, etc. Style with function. :)

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
I beg to differ :p I think this patent is stunning. I'd love to hold a tablet like this and knowing Apple they'll make it so easy for everyone to use! Yipee.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
SpaceMagic said:
I beg to differ :p I think this patent is stunning. I'd love to hold a tablet like this and knowing Apple they'll make it so easy for everyone to use! Yipee.
No no I was referring to the ugly broken-looking-thinkpad in the original post!

Agreed the patent one looks interesting.

qzak

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
I can do with out the biometrics for security though. That is a bad idea. Lose a finger... Lose your data.
i've never used one of these, but i'd imagine you set a password just like you would on any other computer, then u just use the biometrics as a shortcut. your finger print isn't the actual pw, its just a way of you telling the computer yeah i know the pw but it's much faster to run my finger over this thing than type it in.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
mad jew said:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Get a ThinkPad and a sledgehammer and you too can behold such beauty.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
I think (maybe hope) that if apple makes one they will lose all connection with a laptop by making it tablet only, no keyboard, you want a keyboard? plug one in or add a BT one

imagine this

a tablet mac with a kind of dock (a standard to put it on wich connects to the port & powerplug so it chagres allso in there) and a BT keyboard & mouse (or with cord doesn't really matter but without would be more stylish...)

so at home it acts like a desktop (but like the Mac mini its a laptop in a different casing) and you take it from its 'stand' to take it with you
maybe some kind of flip cover wich can blend into the back when in use

hmm now my idea changes again... why not make the cover the part wich turns it into a stand... ;-) for presentations or when used as screen in 'desktop' mode ;-)

someone is whispering: will not happen :p

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I want to see a tablet surface that folds or slides out, either on top or in front of the leyboard. A big advantage of the "traditional" off-screen style of tablet is that your hand doesn't obscure what's on the screen. Plus, you don't have to keep your head bent down.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
dietcokevanilla said:
I think your idea of 'nice looking' and mine are VERY different. That is seriously minging! :p
I'm refering to the overall concept. The IBM machine is far better than the tablets brought out by other PC makers. Now to have Apple do it right.

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
pubwvj said:
I'm refering to the overall concept. The IBM machine is far better than the tablets brought out by other PC makers.
Uh... how so? Because it has a detachable keyboard? Hate to break it to you but there have been Tablet PCs with that feature for years. What's so special about this one (which, btw, happens to look much uglier/rougher than most of the other keyboard-detachable models out there)?

neildmitchell

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2005
The more time goes by the more I find myself out and about away from my primary system, I REALLY hope that Apple releases a tablet SOON. Im gonna hold out for as long as poss. on a mobile system in hope that Apple will release a tablet by the time I am ready to purchase.

APPLE, I will be one of the buyers of the first gen tablets.....