What we still want from iPhone, or is it perfect?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appledude222, Jun 27, 2010.

1. appledude222 macrumors member

appledude222

So I know everyone is really excited about the new features of the iPhone 4, but I know a couple of people who say they are going to wait for the next iPhone, but since this update I don't really see anything that would stop people from buying the iPhone 4. So what do you think?:confused:

2. ThunderApple macrumors 6502

Who knows. Its Apple. They will most likely add random features for next years iPhone.

However i dont know what they can. Which is the reason that im debating weither or not to just pay the big $$$ and buy the phone. Or pay more for a no commiment one and see what they do next year so i can still upgrade to it.

3. VTAb182 macrumors regular

There's plenty of things they could do, but who knows what they will. It'll probably mostly be more battery life, faster, and better cameras.

4. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

-Better front camera. I was a tad disappointed that they went for VGA instead of 1.3mp.
    -quick reply SMS
    -ability to drag menu bar down to reveal information (to-do, calendar, SMS, email, etc)
    -widgets

5. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

To me, I was disappointed more by iOS4 than the iPhone 4 hardware. The new iPhone's got a beefier chip, twice as much ram, great screen, much better camera, HD video, gyro (who saw that coming?) so there's not much for me to complain about there. I would have liked to see 64gb, though, even if it was $399 since my hypothetical iPhone would also be my main media device. I'm guessing they ran out of physical space for more flash chips...

As for iOS4, the notification system was the biggest disappointment for me. It's very crudely implemented in that it interrupts whatever you're doing separately for each notification (especially if you compare it to Android's implementation). Maybe it's one of those Apple "we weren't first, but we're doing it the best" strategies.

I also would have liked to have seen widgets on the home screen (at lease the lock screen) especially since you can nest all your apps into folders and move them off the primary home screen.

Also it's frustrating that tethering and turn by turn navigation are costly add-on's for the iPhone when they are free on Android. Also, no VZ, but I wasn't really expecting that one...

All this being said, I would prefer the iPhone to be missing a feature here or there rather than have it lose its place as the elegant, straightforward device that it is. Still, Apple has nailed all the big hardware and software weaknesses with this update; I've never owned anything more than a flip phone and I think I might even leave Verizon for this one.

6. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Waiting for Notifications to be better. Apple hired the webOS notification UI designer, so I'm hoping it pays off soon. Before iOS5 would be nice..

7. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

It's about as "perfect" as it can get for me for now. My only complaint might be that they didn't increase screen size.

Several years ago I was fantasizing about a device that could play games, play movies, check email, surf the web and, maybe, be a cell phone as well. I was playing with a PSP at the time thinking how cool it would be if the PSP had these features.

Basically, the iPhone is my dream device. It does everything I wanted it to do. Everything else is gravy from here on out.

-Badger

8. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

The guy who created the notification system on the palm pre left Palm and has gone to work at apple. So the iPhone will eventually have better things in that regard.

And as for the turn by turn nav that google offers. That's most likely delayed because of internal Polticking with google.

9. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I would love a notification led like almost every other phone has so i can look at my phone from across the room to see if i missed anything

10. Tom G. macrumors 68010

Tom G.

11. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Not much. It's not clear at the moment if FM radio is wired up yet in a way that it could be software unlocked - obviously that would be good.

Otherwise, upgrades on some stuff would always be welcome - you're never going to have too much memory or battery, and the front facing camera could be improved.

I's also still like a dedicated camera button, but that's fairly small beans.

I suppose Apple might consider more sensors - temperature? RFID?

But broadly I consider iPhone 4 to be "there" hardware wise.

It's just the OS that needs work now. Lots and lots of it - and I hope we don't have to wait yet another year for meaningful improvements.

Phazer

12. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

Coming in 2019

Steve,

Sent from my iPad :cool:

13. winstano macrumors regular

Better notification system. I was hoping iOS4 would have some form of multiple-notification display on the home page, something like showing app icons with the number of notifications next to it... I really don't like having to unlock my phone, entering my passcode etc just to see how many emails I have.

Other than that, I'm more than happy with the OS, and I'm getting my new handset tomorrow so can comment more on that :)

14. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I believe you are correct on both counts...still kinda frustrating

15. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Better notifications system but that's purely software. Not sure what else I would like, hardware wise. :cool:

16. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

Higher Resolution rear camera.
    Slightly higher front camera resolution.
    Better storage/tier prices ($100 for an extra 16g is silly)
    Better notification system
    Slightly Bigger screen (but I don't want a monster sized screen either)
    Syncing of the iPhone to more than one computer (like an iPod)

17. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

64GB, so I can get all my music on without resorting to 128 K files and Stereo speakers like the first Blackberry Bold- that was great for pandora and internet radio streaming.

18. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

19. violaguy5 macrumors member

although a bit outdated, I still want an FM tuner

20. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

customizable alert profiles: phone only, alert only, silent, vibrate, etc.

ability to have different alerts for different email accounts.

Pretty much the blackberry alert system

21. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

a revamped os.... haha but hardware wise it's good enough for me :D

22. Tech-Minded macrumors regular

Every app to support "multitasking" and the retina display; then my iPhone 4 would be perfect.

23. phearx macrumors regular

better notifications (similar to webOS)

and a better camera along with a better antenna (hardware)

24. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Well, if the antenna issue affects you, I could see that causing you not to buy it. Personally, even if affected me badly (I still have yet to get it to drop a phone call and only sometimes can get it to lose bars), I think the phone is worth having to remember to hold it differently (of course, disclaimer, I may change my tune if it was constantly dropping calls cause I kept forgetting to change how I held it.. depends on how easily I found it was to adjust to holding it differently).

I have no idea if it is worth it coming from a 3GS as I never had one, but coming from a 3G, hell ya it's worth it. Shoot, it addressed the two things I wanted to see improved in my phone (and I think the 3GS didn't address the issues that well itself), the camera (and low light photos) and the GPS (which was what attracted me to buying the phone in the first place). Both are very improved now. Other than that, I didn't have too much issues with my old phone. So I'm really happy cause it addressed what I wanted to see addressed plus it's so much faster and smoother and responds better to my touch (But I kinda wonder if my old phone was starting to get less responsive to my touch).

And I would really like to see what game makers are going to do with the gyroscope (I hope that feature doesn't get ignored. But since Apple really didn't put anything to take advantage of it out, like last year you got a compass, I worry that it's easily forgettable it has that to game developers).

25. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360