What we want from the new Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mach, Jun 10, 2007.

1. mach macrumors regular

Hey everyone, this has sort of stemmed from this thread predicting what we want from the new Finder in Leopard. I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we could post what we want from the new Finder, as well if it's likely to happen.

Here's what I would like to see:

- Tabs (Tabs have proven their use in browsers, and could help a great deal in the Finder. These are in the predictions already.)

- Show the filepath. I'd really like to see the path somewhere, and not in the little path button. It's easy to get disoriented when trying to pinpoint things, especially when looking for things through spotlight, especially since spotlight doesn't make it clear where a file is located.

- Integrated Photo viewer / preview. This is not like the quickview preview, or the current "slide show", but something more like Windows' Picture and Fax viewer. Being able to open an image and flip through all the images in a folder with ease in Windows is something OSX needs badly.

- Cut / Paste. Right now OSX defaults to copying everything, and as far as I know there is no way to simply Cut and Paste a file as you would in Windows.

What do you guys want to see in a new Finder?

2. 66217 Guest

This would be a great improvement.

There are different views, and in one you can see the folder from where it comes. It is the column view.
    In spotlight you can select the item, and use the option "show in finder".

I agree, it would be a nice add. But you could simply press "Cmd-A" and then "Cmd-O". These way all the photos would open, and you can play them as a slideshow or see them as in Windows.

I am sure there is something like this, just don't remember right now the short-cut.

I like Finder the way it is a lot, so I am not sure what I would like to add. Maybe include more "view options".

3. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

4. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Ooh Ohh, and improve file sharing between macs please. I don't know why, but I can't seem to get consistency when trying to access my friends' macs even though we're on the same network and have all the proper settings under the sharing prefs pane. And under network, sometimes I can see their computers while sometimes I can't. Its really frustrating.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There is a reason for no Cut in finder. It is dangerous (cutting something then forgetting about it and shutting down, or having the computer crash).

OSX is based a lot more around drag+drop, so Cut isn't really necessary :)

Better networking is a must.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Stability and speed. That's all I want.

Sort of... Cut & paste has typically moved into copy & paste, meaning it can be done repeatedly after the first cut/copy, although it's a moot point and I'm not even sure if it's applicable in Windows Explorer's version of cut & paste. :eek:

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I couldn't agree more.
    The one thing that has driven me crazy since I started using Macs (late 80s). Horrible networking.

The way other computers are "seen" is a hit and miss affair. And just try and connect to a "sleeping" Mac. Beach ball party!

Will it be fixed? Maybe Steve has some esoteric reason for it being crippled. :rolleyes:

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

What do you mean? Apart from on network connections, the Finder seems pretty snappy to me...

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, I know I shouldn't, but sometimes I navigate to my iTunes folder with it's 5,000 subfolders and Finder takes a while to load it, whereas Explorer on my Dell loads it promptly. Still, I really really want stability. I lost about 250 ripped songs when transferring them to my Dell because Finder screwed up. :(