What went wrong????

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by John01021988, Jun 19, 2008.

1. John01021988 macrumors 6502

I just picked up my macbook from a lower case replacement, and now is SLOW as hell, takes up to 5 minutes to boot up completely, I constantly get beach balls now, had to reinstall osx and STILLS gives me trouble. I went on bootcamp and everything seemed fine to me, no slow downs. Could they have misplaced something inside my macbook? Specs on sig.

2. fixedbymike macrumors newbie

fixedbymike

What it sounds like to me is that they didn't correctly remove and re-apply the thermal paste to the heatsink/CPU when they re-installed the logic board. If you do not completely remove all thermal paste and re-apply the correct amount, it can cause significant speed reduction, and possible overheating which could lead to damage to the CPU. I would take it back to whoever did this repair and make sure they know that something is clearly wrong.

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

I find it unlikely that it has anything to do with thermal paste considering windows runs fine and (assuming) the machine takes 5 minutes to boot up after it's been off. Even if the CPU was clocked back significantly, I doubt it would take 5 minutes to boot. The fan would spool up as well if the temperature was excessively high. Although you could use iStat to make sure.

Did you do an erase and install or an archive and install when you reinstalled OS X?

4. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Take it back to the store. It's definitely not right to take 5 minutes to boot up. If you can reproduce this, I can't see why they won't do something about it.

5. John01021988 thread starter macrumors 6502

After further testing, it seems that they did something with the memory slots... or my RAM..... When I boot up with 3gb in it, it takes from 4 to 5 min to boot, when I go 2gb, it takes 25-30 sec and when I go 1 gb, it takes from 20 to 30 sec as well.... The weird thing is that I tested the same ram setup into my iMac and there are no problems, it only happens in the macbook. BTW, I mixed 1.5 gb and 2.5gb and there were no problems as well.... Only with 3gb!
    Also I did a full clean install, no archive and install, only erase and install.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They probably didn't discharge when you fixed your computer; looks like you need a new logic board (or a replacement computer)

7. John01021988 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think something is wrong with the HD.... Now the computer is booting normally (20-30 sec) but the problem is, while working in Leopard, the macbook freezes for about 20 seconds and I get the beachball of death.... I read somewhere that this occurs when the HD is about to fail. Can the HD be the problem then?

8. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964