What were the MBP 1st gen. issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arnette, Jul 18, 2008.

1. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

What were the issues with the MacBook Pro 15" 1st generation when first released? Anyone remember?

I recall the white spot issues but I think those were still PowerBooks in the new enclosure (circa 2004). I can't remember what MBP issues there were.

All this talk about new laptops coming out around Sept. makes me wonder if I could stand getting a 1st gen. revision if they significantly change the casings to either the MBP or even the MacBook.

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I had the first gen mbp and the issue that I had was the inverter problem with the display and I remember getting it repaired 3 times from apple then I ended up selling it.

Another problem was the buzzing noise but that was because of the core duo making that noise but I remember where it was loud enough to bother the hell out of me especially when using the mbp in a quiet room that's all you hear.

3. cMacSW macrumors regular

I've had a 1st gen MBP and had the power adapter go bad, no problems with the laptop.

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Another thing I remembered was that the 1st gen mbp ran freaking hot. I remember sweating surfing the net lol.

These penryn though runs so much cooler.

5. arnette thread starter macrumors 6502

arnette

Yeah, I remember hearing about the 'singing' problems with laptops buzzing internally. What's with the inverter problem? What were the symptoms??

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

The inverter went out and the screen died. And the other two times the inverter made a really high pitched buzz noise + the core duo cpu buzz noise= really really loud and screeching high pitch noise rang through my ears.

7. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I had zero problems with my first gen MBP. There was a screen issue but that was mainly my fault.

Yes it got kinda hot. But Apple also had different fan settings for those machines compared to the current ones. I think they were a great machine and my friend still uses his 2ghz MBP. It performs all his photography needs nicely

8. arnette thread starter macrumors 6502

arnette

Lovely.

Well, that's me then. I'm waiting a good month or so before any new-design laptops appear before I buy.

If you said something like 'dim screen lighting' or some strange software glitch then I may have had more confidence. It's interesting to hear all the weird quirks that come up over the months.

I have a 1.33 PB 12" so Apple was on their 3rd version when I bought one. Just coincidence. But I had the same problems as others with the 12". Crapped out logic board, lid latch misalignment, power management issues. All-in-all I can't complain because this thing has seen some mileage. But I guess I was hoping Apple's production became less buggy over the years.

9. mBurns macrumors 6502

I wouldn't worry about purchasing a Core Duo MacBook Pro that looks like it has been taken care of -- especially if it has AppleCare. I've had my 2.16 Ghz Core Duo MBP since new and purchased AppleCare. Believe it or not, I've never had to use AppleCare on the machine except that the first 3 systems I got were DOA from the Apple Store (they couldn't believe it!). I'd say the Core Duos are great if you get one from someone who has taken good care of the machine. Also, they are no slouch -- I think people get blind sided by the fact that so many new iterations of machines are coming out SO quickly from Apple. It's unbelievable..