What widgets would you want?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by bisonthrow, Feb 3, 2012.

1. bisonthrow macrumors member

For me I see a number of widgets that would be extremely beneficial on an iPhone:

1) Settings Controls
    2) Weather
    3) Third Party Apps (Scorecenter)
    4) iPod

Anyone else have anything they can think ok?

2. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

i'm not sure about widgets, but i think in the for things like ipod control and setting they should go in the multitasking bar.

the screen only going up only for one row of icons is a huge waste of space.

The only thing i can think of is that it might look cluttered but i think i'd use the ipod controls there more if they had them available right from a double click of the home button.

3. alcohol120 macrumors newbie

i would really like to see a surfline widget brought to the ios homescreen. that would be awesome but i dont know if anyone who codes javas, surfs, and owns and iphone that would want to do this.
    the code for the widget from their site is:
    Code:
    <!-- WIDGET CONTENTS COPYRIGHT SURFLINE.COM 2010 -->
    <!-- WIDGET VERSION 2.0 MARCH 2010 | SOUTH ORANGE COUNTY -->
    <div class="slwd_bth"><script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.surfline.com/widgets2/widget_output_forecast.cfm?id=2950&layout=h&wid=22209&ftr=1"></script><div class="slwd_bx"><a href="http://www.surfline.com" class="slwd_lk">Surfline</a> <a href="http://www.surfline.com/surf-forecasts" class="slwd_lk">Surf Forecasts</a></div><div class="slwd_tl"></div><div class="slwd_tr"></div></div>
    <!-- WIDGET CONTENTS COPYRIGHT SURFLINE.COM 2010 -->

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Widgets don't have to be just for snippits of information. For example - foursquare's widget could have arrows to cycle through locations nearest you so you can just check in without opening up the app quickly.

Facebook - you could just updates your status or check in from the widget

and so on...

5. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

iPod Controls.
    News Ticker (Reuters or BBC for maximum apolitical-ness)
    App support; tide times, location, that sort of thing

6. HeezyBear macrumors regular

I'm not sure if I'm completely understanding what you're saying but it seems like you're describing something that already exists. If you double tap to bring up the multitasking bar, swipe over to the left and there are iPod controls there for play/pause and skipping track. Swipe to the left once more and there's volume controls.

7. AlphaVictor87, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Right, i'm saying that instead of swiping, it would all be there immediately. Because if there's just the one bar, it's all wasted space above that single bar, so why not make it larger.

Ok so i quickly put this together. MS paint for the win. But it would be like this. And you would still be able to swipe the bottom bar to your other apps.

It may seem a little cluttered, but my point is for them to better utilize the space for things people would use a lot. You could also put something like setting buttons in here as well.

Hopefully this works

[​IMG]

8. HeezyBear macrumors regular

Oh okay, I get what you're saying. Yeah, that would definitely make sense. Maybe they could figure out a way to do it in a more aesthetically pleasing way since like you said, it does look a bit cluttered,

9. bigbowlofjelly macrumors member

They could keep the one row as it is now and just make the iPod controls come up first if music is playing then scroll across to recent apps
    The same for portrait orientation lock should appear first when viewing safari