What Wild New Features Are Expected?

rhyzome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
I was considering upgrading my MBP but haven’t been following the rumors...are there any wild new features expected for the nextiteration of the MBP? Anyone think it will be redesigned to not have fans/vents? Face ID?

Its been quite a few months since the last update, but still a while before the next one, probably? Is it a good time to buy?

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
I was considering upgrading my MBP but haven’t been following the rumors...are there any wild new features expected for the nextiteration of the MBP? Anyone think it will be redesigned to not have fans/vents? Face ID?

Its been quite a few months since the last update, but still a while before the next one, probably? Is it a good time to buy?
Most likely none in 2019. That will (probably) be the 4th and final iteration of this design so should look identical to the 2016, 2017 & 2018 models. A wildcard might be Promotion (120hz display) - but I’d say that’s ‘possible’ as opposed to ‘likely’.

The 2020 redesign will be the big one with potential for custom ARM chips, touchscreen/ haptic keyboard, Face ID etc - of course all of those things could be considered both good or bad depending on perspective too ;)

No. 44

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2016
Long gone
I'm hoping Apple will introduce an innovative new keyboard that works properly and doesn't require users to carry around a can of compressed air, but that's probably a bit too "wild" at this point... ;)

Reactions: staggerlee41

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I'm thinking next redesign will have a ARM chip along side a x86 chip. I'm not necessarily for it, but I do think the transition to ARM will happen eventually. Maybe they will slowly start push some apps over to being able to be run on ARM, and possibly have drastic battery increase.

SkyBezel

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2018
I think that if Intel does a die shrink next year then Apple may do a redesign.
Then they can shrink the bezels/hence footprint without compromising battery life too much.
Then they will keep in line with iphone/ipad/watch bezel theme - as it might be seen as odd if they release another next year without it.

They can then add face id which will be a nice option.
Not sure what they have up their sleeves for the keyboard but they would have to have pretty cool tech to go haptic as most people are used to individual keys.

If they do go Arm cpu in 2020 that may affect their approach where they may instead want the redesign to all happen at once then. Also with Arm it may be interesting where ipad/iphone apps could then be compatible so they may then add touchscreen ability.

darkmatter343

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2017
While I can understand why designers would want an all touch, glass display keyboard, I really hope Apple doesen't go there. Designers have the iPad Pro, and I would think for everyone else, they'd also want a real keyboard, not some haptic glass panel to type on.