What will a new Mac Pro base model not do?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hitek79, Nov 12, 2013.

1. hitek79 macrumors member

What programs or situations will it not be able to handle?

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

There is nothing that it won't be able to handle compared to the 12 core model. It will do everything that the 12 core will do only at a slower pace. That all depends on if the application is single threaded or multithreaded of course.

3. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

The new Mac Pro will not run OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Other than that, I can't think of anything.

4. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Support 512 GiB of RAM.

Support 24 cores.

Support 88 lanes of PCIe.

Support 4 GPUs.

CUDA

You'll need a Z820 or T7610 for those....

5. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

True... but how much would that cost? I couldn't get such a configuration on the Dell site, but one close to the expected maxed-out nMP with 12-cores (2x6-core), 64GB RAM, dual GPUS, and a 256GB SSD was only $13,189.

6. haravikk, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

haravikk macrumors 65816

There shouldn't be anything that it flat out can't handle, it just won't be as fast as other models.

Personally though I think the six-core model is better value overall as for the extra money you're getting an extra 4gb of RAM as standard (depends if you're planning to upgrade the RAM yourself or not), plus an extra two cores (4 hardware threads) and the D500's are more capable GPUs with an extra 2gb of VRAM. Of course if you (like me) are struggling just to afford the 4-core then it's not really an option, but it'll be able to better cope with any future demands you make of it.

But yeah, the 4-core model is still going to be a solid performer as it's not like the 4-core CPU will be a slouch by any means, and the D300's ought to still be solid for OpenCL number crunching, plus it's not as if 2gb of VRAM each is anything to sniff at.

7. propower macrumors 6502a

Shouldn't the question be what do you need it to do and how does the time it takes to do it matter to you?

8. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

It's a full fledge computer with a desktop OS, so it'll do everything but a tad slower than the 6-12core.

9. Tutor macrumors 65816

Tutor

Home of the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
    1) It won't do any of the following, nor will it occupy those spaces in my life:

Fly me to the moon
    Let me play among the stars
    Let me see what spring is like
    On a-Jupiter and Mars

In other words, hold my hand
    In other words, baby, kiss me

Fill my heart with song and
    Let me sing forever more
    You are all I long for
    All I worship and adore

In other words, please be true
    In other words, I love you

Fill my heart with song
    Let me sing forever more
    You are all I long for
    All I worship and I adore

In other words, please be true
    In other words
    In other words, I love you

Songwriters
    PORTER, COLE

Published by
    Lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc., T.R.O. INC., Universal Music Publishing Group

2) It, along with seemingly comparables and noncomparables by Dell and HP, won't satisfy my performance needs for the prices that satisfy me.

3) Aiden and Propower are also both correct where each states:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hitek79 
    What programs or situations will it not be able to handle?
    I've built many systems including two systems, each with quad E5-4650s (having a total of 32 cores each), and another with 8 Titans, that render 3d animations very quickly, for which Dell, HP and Apple have no similarly priced comparables or alternatives that seem priced right for me.

Yes. For me, the nMP is much to slow to do the things that I need, it costs too much for what I'd be getting (and thus I'd need to add to it and still wouldn't be satisfied), so I'd rather construct my own systems. Constructing each system has made my construction of the next one brain-dead easy and more economical.

10. Halon macrumors newbie

30" Cinema Display

Anyone know if the new Mac Pro will support the Apple 30" Cinema Display?

11. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Just need the adapter

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

While I'm sure the nMP would support the Apple 30" Cinema Display by placing it on top of the nMP doing so would block the air flow so I wouldn't recommend it. :eek:

I'm certain thats not what you meant though. :D

13. Phildo macrumors member

Phildo

Won't be able to run old software (ie no Rosetta).

No AppleWorks 6.

Tragedy.

14. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

You wont be able to rest your iPad and iPhone on top of it like my 3,1.

15. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Run X-Plane 10 well.

16. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

iThought™ the advantage of the 12 core MP is that all cores are on the same die!?

Cheap. Only 13 $. :p

17. AidenShaw, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Sometimes, sometimes not.

Twelve cores in a dual socket system wouldn't concentrate the heat so much, so higher clock rates could be maintained. Dual sockets support three times as much memory as a single socket, with 8 channels instead of 4 channels.

The single socket avoids NUMA memory, and the L3 cache is common to all cores.

YMMV

18. muziksculp macrumors newbie

Will the new Mac Pros be out early Dec. (first or second week of Dec.) ?

That would sweet. I hope not the last week :)

19. mikepj macrumors regular

Agreed on the heat concentration being an advantage of 2x6 core chips. Just look at the clock speeds of the 6 core option vs the 12 for example.

To elaborate on your cache comment, split L3 caches would be a disadvantage of a 2x6 core option. You want as many cores to have as quick of access to the cache as possible (assuming the cache amount is the same). That way if two cores are using the same data in memory, the machine doesn't need to figure out if it needs to copy the data from one cache to another. Every core has access to all the cache in the 12 core model.

The additional benefit of the 12 core CPU in the Mac Pro is that it has more cache than 2x6 core chips. The 6 core model has 12MB of cache (or 24MB if you could configure it with 2 chips), while the 12 core model has a massive 30MB L3 cache.

20. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

The hex core E5v2 has 15 MiB cache (All of the E5v2 chips have 2.5 MiB per physical core.)

Of course, these are rather small differences in cache -- and the application may or may not benefit from the larger or shared cache. It depends on the memory access and sharing patterns of the application.