What will AAPL do tomorrow????

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dmac77, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

So I bought into AAPL back when it was around $265. And over the past few weeks it's been up almost 20 points, and today alone it's up over 6 points. So here's my question, how likely is it that it will come crashing down and lose a large portion of it's gains over the past few weeks if it turns out that the Verizon press conference tomorrow has absolutely nothing to do with the iPhone? I'm wondering if I should just liquidate some of my AAPL holdings and take profits tonight and before the conference tomorrow.

On the other hand if the conference tomorrow really is about a Verizon iPhone, both AAPL and VZ will most likely have sizable gains tomorrow. Maybe I should just place a stop loss on it tonight...

I have no idea what I should do about this. So what are you other AAPL stockholders planning on doing?

-Don

2. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Sitting tight. I don't chase stocks for the short term.

3. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Likewise. If you invest short term you will die of a stomach ulcer before your time.

- Don't invest what you can't afford to lose.

- Leave emotions out of investing.

- Go long. Long term you will nearly always win.

- Diversify.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Long since September 2002. Verizon sales are already priced into the stock. If there is no VZW phone tomorrow, it will drop. We then have the usual run up of the stock for earnings and the sell off after. Of course, being AAPL, anything can happen. :D

5. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

So would a stop loss order be a wise choice in your opinion? The issue is that I have over 25% of my AAPL investment on margin, and I don't want to risk a margin call if it drops like a rock tomorrow.

-Don

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Only you can determine your tolerance for risk.

That said, if you're worried, set a stop loss for the number of shares bought on margin.

7. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

I was gifted roughly 500 shares when AAPL first launched back in the eighty's. It was part of an estate from my grandparents. I honestly have no exact figure on what it's worth today after the stocks split. I refuse to follow it or even pay much attention to it's worth. I am afraid if I did it would spur my desire to retire early and become extremely fat and lazy. :D. The way I look at it is ...it cost me nothing and if it tanks tomorrow I am basically out nothing. If it continues to stay stable I may consider moving some of it around to diversify...especially if SJ's health takes a turn south.

8. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

AAPL has done a 2 for 1 split 3 times, in '87, '00, and '05. So you have around 4,000 shares of AAPL, and if I'm not mistaken that's worth $1,369,800. Not a bad return considering 500 shares at IPO would have cost $1,915, which equates out to roughly a 71,430% return on investment (again assuming the stock was purchased at IPO). Congrats on your luck of inheriting that stock.

-Don

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

holy crap

10. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I don't buy with money I don't have, and I don't worry about the short-term either.

As others have said, AAPL is a long-term stock. I'm really not even a long-term shareholder (yet) but in my case, my investment seems to be doing quite well without me jacking with it too much. I suspect you will be fine if you keep your hands off the wheel and out of the cookie jar for a while.

11. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

.... Whoah. I think we know who's buying next beer night! ;)