What will Apple charge me to fix this? (MacBook LCD)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by buffalo, Feb 22, 2008.

1. buffalo macrumors 65816

A little in shock right now...

My MacBook was charging with a closed lid on the ground. My cell phone was charging on my bed 2-3 feet up. My leg came into contact with the cell phone cable and pulled phone down onto the MacBook lid. I open the MB about an hour later to discover this "crack." Neither the outside (white) case nor the LCD is physically cracked, but as you can see, the phone did some significant damage to the screen. Before I face the reality of going to the Apple Store, I wanted to get your input on what the charge might be to fix this. Unfortunately, this is about a month out of warranty. I bought the MacBook mid-January 2007 and chose not to purchase Applecare.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Warranty would be moot, since this is physical damage and not a defect, so even if it was in warranty they wouldn't fix it for free anyway.

There was a thread on replacement screens for iBooks I just posted to earlier this evening. The same vendors do screens for MacBooks as well, I'm sure.

You can view the thread here.

MacDann

3. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

The bill for my MacBook Pro was about $900 USD.. so grateful for Apple Care.. expect at least $700 USD.

4. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

Time to start looking for a new Mac???

Looks like $300-400 to send it to the companies MacDann linked to or $700-900 if I take it to Apple. Not sure if I want to send it off to some random company, but the possible Apple charge isn't to appealing either.

Trying to find some humor in the situation. I had the Apple background of earth set (changed to blue to try to get a better picture). When I showed my dad he thought the crack was the satellite that was destroyed.

5. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I don't have direct experience with any of the companies listed, but most of them have been around long enough that they must be somewhat reputable.

$300 - $400 sounds a lot better than having Apple fix it, and to be honest, you'll now have more money in it that it will ever be worth, so plan on keeping it a while.... you might possibly consider parting it out and using the proceeds to fund a new MB. Stick a feeler up in the Marketplace and see what it's worth for parts.

Just a thought....

MacDann

6. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

Selling for parts would be an option...

The other thing I was thinking of is this. My mom currently uses an almost 4 year old Dell desktop. A lot of the time it runs very slowly on simple tasks such as switching between a Word document and IE. For about a year I have been wanting to replace it. If she would be willing to make the switch to the Mac (it would be a tough sell, she likes the included card games on XP), we could buy a monitor, hook the MB up to that and now she has a speedy new computer to use. Then we get another MB. Which brings up a question... How well would a MB function as a desktop? Plugged in all the time to the power source and a monitor.

7. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Should be just fine as a desktop. Get a monitor, keyboard and mouse and "Hey Mom! Look at the new computer I got you!"

:D

MacDann

8. McGiord, Feb 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

9. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

Of course still in the planning process, but lets say the family decided on the above scenario. I was looking at Dell monitors. It would be nice to get an ACD but there is no reason to pay the premium. Here is a 20" Dell monitor for $299 with a webcam. Would this webcam work with iChat/Photobooth?

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Apple replaced an LCD that you cracked on your MBP under warranty?

11. tonyshucraft macrumors regular

also, look up prices for LCD's that are for this computer. They usually cost 300 to 400.

12. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

home owners insurance?

I have been doing some further reading and saw several posts saying that accidental damage might be included in home owners insurance. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is the easiest way to check if the home insurance might cover this damage? (I'm 17, so I don't know much about the policy). I did some digging around and found that the home is covered by Allstate, but I didn't see much in the 6 y/o booklet. Is coverage like this usually covered in the general policy, or would you have to add it on?

Thanks!

13. YELLOWSOUL macrumors member

thats the same thing that happened to mine back in august and I have been saving for a new macbook pro ever since because the cost to get fixed was 1200. i cracked it at bottom and the outside rim has a little crack as well....:eek: here's to a new mac! :p

14. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

It depends. The best thing to do is call your agent and ask them. There is usually a deductible involved, but it might be less than the cost of the screen, which would make it worthwhile.

I know that I have to carry separate "personal items" coverage on my MBP, mainly due to the cost of replacement. It's only about $60/year, so it's a small price to pay should something catastrophic like this happen to it. I know it even covers things like spilling a beverage on it - I asked.

MacDann

15. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

I finally (5 months after the accident) got the MacBook fixed. Per MacDann
    s search in this other thread, I used Wegner Media. This company worked great, and I want to recommend them for anyone else that has to have a LCD replacement. Fast shipping and a good price. It's nice to have a perfectly usable MacBook back!

(from this thread)

16. greengeek macrumors newbie

Get some money for it

I think you should check out these guys sell your macbook Hope this helps.

17. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Completely off topic but why are there gaps in your dock?

18. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

Funny to see this topic being brought from the dead.

Back in the day, that was my personal preference for organizing my dock.