What will apple give me for 1g out of warranty battery replacement

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tmagman, Nov 23, 2011.

1. tmagman macrumors 6502

I have a 1st generation 32GB touch that doesnt like to hold much of a charge anymore. It'll maybe get 6 hours of music out of it, but nothing beyond that and if it sits for a day or two its dead. I was reading on the support that i can pay the $80 for the out of warranty battery replacement program and it says for even the older ones they'll just give you a refurb or even new one. Anyone done this recently with an old one? What have they ended up giving you? 3rd generation? 4th generation touch?

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

If you want a 4th Generation touch then you will have to buy a 4th generation touch at full price. They will NEVER give you a newer model.

3. tmagman thread starter macrumors 6502

according to their service page on the battery replacement program they may... the fees are listed on another page and for a 1g touch the battery replacement program is $80 CAD. What would the likelyhood of them even having 1g touch's in stock for this?

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=Canada&product=ipod
    "Battery Replacement

What is the iPod Battery Replacement Program?
    How much does it cost to participate in the program?
    Please refer to the Repair Pricing tab on the left, or contact your local Apple retail store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, where available, for details.

Replacement iPods may be new, used or refurbished. Service may not be available if your iPod has been damaged due to accident or abuse. Please review Apple's Repair Terms and Conditions for further details. Note: There may be a fee for diagnostic service. "

4. P Mentior, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

P Mentior macrumors regular

Those terms say nothing about them giving you a newer model of iPod touch. It says that your replacement may be new (an unused iPod touch of the same model you have. ( unlikely at this point in time. )). A used iPod touch ( one of the same model as yours ( I have never heard of someone getting a strait up used replacement. )). Or a refurbished iPod touch ( one of the same model as yours that has been used and then returned and factory refurbished and is asically a new item. ).

I would say that you have a +90% chance of getting a refurbished version of what you already have. About a 9.9999% chance of getting a newer model ( probably not the newest but what ever refers they may have at the time. ) the last .0001% chance is for you to walk in with your iPod touch and walk ot with a fully loaded Mac Pro.:rolleyes:

5. tmagman thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah im banking on the fact that the 1g is now 4+ years so unlikely new/refurbs exist in quick order for apple to give me.

thanks for the input. Anyone out there though have actual experience with this?

6. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Take a look at the recent experience with Apple's recall on 1st generation iPod nanos due to battery issues... The 1G iPod nano has now been out of production for more than 5 years, and yet all the replacement units involved in this recall have been genuine 1G units. You shouldn't underestimate Apple's ability to maintain an adequate supply of parts for refurbs.

7. tmagman thread starter macrumors 6502

I had the same thought run through my head, although the flipside of that one is the fact that the nano battery issues were brought up close to three years ago now, giving them lead time to build up stock in that one for a contingency to a recall or other necessary action.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They will have a small stock of 1G ready to go. When you take yours in the swap it with a 1G with a new battery and yours goes off to be refurbished and becomes part of the supply for the service. They don't need to keep a huge stock of them and can replace like with like.