Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coachfreak

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Hi all,

A few months ago my sister accidentally dropped her phone in the toilet (fell out of back pocket as she was about to sit down). I gave her the one I had bought for my husband's birthday 8GB), but since I have found out they will replace a physical damaged phone for $250. At this time will they replace her damaged iPhone for a 4GB or 8GB after I pay the $250?

thanks...

ajchapinjr.com

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
I can not confirm this from personal experience, only what I've read on here...

...I have heard several times that people have brought their dead 4GB iPhone (under AppleCare, not water damage or anything) to the store, and had it replaced with an 8GB for no additional charge.

I'm not sure about this paid replacement program, but I'd assume that it's the same.

Good luck, regardless.

coachfreak

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2008
I can not confirm this from personal experience, only what I've read on here...

...I have heard several times that people have brought their dead 4GB iPhone (under AppleCare, not water damage or anything) to the store, and had it replaced with an 8GB for no additional charge.

I'm not sure about this paid replacement program, but I'd assume that it's the same.

Good luck, regardless.

Thanks... now I am just going to hold out till next month in case we see a 3g phone.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Yes, when I took my 4GB iPhone in because it was having battery problems they replaced it with an 8GB. I don't think it was because they are generous, but because they don't have any 4GB phones left.

coachfreak

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Yes, when I took my 4GB iPhone in because it was having battery problems they replaced it with an 8GB. I don't think it was because they are generous, but because they don't have any 4GB phones left.

That is what I figured!!! Also, $250 would seem REALLY steep since the last 4GB phones that sold were only $300.

biblicalfury

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2007
I had a bad battery in my 4GB iPhone and they replaced it at the Apple store with another 4GB model. This was a while ago, I'd say late last year, but it was after they stopped selling the 4GB model.

TedB

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
I got my 4GB iPhone replaced with another 4GB iPhone back in February.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Well why should Apple replace a product that a person broke for free? Apple's a company, so their looking for a profit.

Because people pay for AppleCare expecting to be covered. Dell covers accidental damage...

coachfreak

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2008
who said anything about free?

Well why should Apple replace a product that a person broke for free? Apple's a company, so their looking for a profit.

Hi- sarcasm not needed. I was not expecting it for free. I actually didn't know they do anything for physical damage until I was at a Genius bar for another issue. When I remembered her old one was a 4GB it didn't seem proportional that there was a $150 "discount" for the 8GB and only a $50 reduction for a 4GB.

I wanted to know people's personal experiences, which others posted. It seems I could get back a 4GB so next time I am in I will ask them directly.

Everyone, thanks!

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Because people pay for AppleCare expecting to be covered. Dell covers accidental damage...

Wow, you're seriously wrong there. Dell pays for accidental damage IF you pay extra for that function of that warranty. That is the highest priced extended warranty version they sell. It is 3.6 times the cost of the hardware-only warranty which is the only thing you can compare AppleCare to:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&category_id=112&~ck=anav

People aren't paying $250 for an AppleCare warranty. That's AppleCare times 3.6. Look at that number. Does it ring a bell? People are taking damaged phones to Apple and that's what they're being charged for a replacement. So, Apple already has a 'damage replacement warranty' in place. You just aren't paying for it in advance like you are with Dell.

coachfreak

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2008
I got mine swapped in January and i got a 4GB back.

I got my 4GB iPhone replaced with another 4GB iPhone back in February.

I had a bad battery in my 4GB iPhone and they replaced it at the Apple store with another 4GB model. This was a while ago, I'd say late last year, but it was after they stopped selling the 4GB model.

each of the above, were these warranty issues under applecare or did you pay $250 for the switch due to physical damage? thanks!

coachfreak

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2008
People aren't paying $250 for an AppleCare warranty. That's AppleCare times 3.6. Look at that number. Does it ring a bell? People taking damaged phones to Apple and that's what they're being charged for a replacement. So, Apple already has a 'damage replacement warranty' in place. You just aren't paying for it in advance like you are with Dell.

this was what I was referring to

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
this was what I was referring to

I realize you understood it. Dustman seems to be under the impression that Dell's warranty covers accidental damages. Sure it does if you pay 3.6x the price of the hardware warranty. Apple is doing the $250 over-the-counter swap which costs exactly the same as the Dell accidental damage warranty. So, it would be prudent to never buy anything but AppleCare to extend the life of the warranty out if you plan on keeping it more than a year. If not, you made out better because you're getting exactly the same coverage as Dell's accidental damage warranty without ever putting the money out up front on a gamble that some day you might damage it.

So, someone damaging their phone in under a year with no AppleCare extended warranty is way ahead of the game paying the $250 on the spot than anyone who ever bought a Dell accidental damage warranty. Plus, we can buy that AppleCare add on all the way to the end of the original warranty if we should keep it longer than a year. Makes much more sense.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
When I broke my phone (about a month ago) the local Apple store said they'll give me a 4GB phone for $200 or an 8GB for $250. So if they have 4GB models left, it'll be $200, not $250. If you were quoted $250, they either assumed you have an 8GB, or are going to give you an 8GB.

coachfreak

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2008
When I broke my phone (about a month ago) the local Apple store said they'll give me a 4GB phone for $200 or an 8GB for $250. So if they have 4GB models left, it'll be $200, not $250. If you were quoted $250, they either assumed you have an 8GB, or are going to give you an 8GB.

now THAT makes sense!

thanks.....

when I was in the store I saw a guy exchange his for the $250 but I had no idea they did that and didn't realize the water-damaged one was 4 gb.

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I took my phone (4gb) in last week to the genius bar because of an issue with the glass on the screen. While waiting I overheard one of the employees telling a customer they were completly out of iPhones. When the genius decided to replace my phone he pulled out a refurbished 4gb, I was kind of surprised they still had them.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I took my phone (4gb) in last week to the genius bar because of an issue with the glass on the screen. While waiting I overheard one of the employees telling a customer they were completly out of iPhones. When the genius decided to replace my phone he pulled out a refurbished 4gb, I was kind of surprised they still had them.

Yes, as they get broken 4 Gig ones in, after they refurbish them, then make them available for replacement.

$199 to replace an accidentally damaged phone is great - especially for us unlockers... :p

pazreal

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
What was the glass issue? Mine has a small scratch on it and I'm not quite sure how it happened in my pockets since I rarely have the phone share space with anything else (maybe change occasionally if I don't realize it). Did they replace the glass?

s8film40

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
What was the glass issue? Mine has a small scratch on it and I'm not quite sure how it happened in my pockets since I rarely have the phone share space with anything else (maybe change occasionally if I don't realize it). Did they replace the glass?

There were little bubbles in the glass. At first I thought it was something that was on my screen protector. I took the screen protector off and noticed they were still there, then looking at them closely they appeared to be behind the glass and in front of the screen. The genius said he thought they were actually not behind the glass but in the glass itself, he said he had seen something similar before. Apparently it was a defect in the glass, the odd thing is that they just appeared, they were not there from the beginning, maybe it was caused from heat or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.