What will Apple replace my Telus locked iPhone 4 with?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NJDevils44, Jan 19, 2011.

1. NJDevils44 macrumors regular

NJDevils44

Hi there,

I bought an iPhone 4 locked to Telus in August and jailbroke it and unlocked it to use with Rogers. I was told I couldn't find a Rogers iPhone in Vancouver for a few weeks so I decided to do it this way. Anyways, it found a problem and Ive put in an order for it to be replaced it should be here the day after tomorrow. I am wondering, will they send me an unlocked phone or will they send me another Telus locked one? Has anyone had any similar experiences? I did not tell the woman on the phone that my phone was locked to Telus.

Thanks

2. warfa macrumors regular

unless they inspect your old iPhone they will just send you a brand new Rodgers iPhone

3. profets macrumors 68040

They will replace it with another Telus locked iPhone.

What makes you say that?

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Apple will normally lock the replacement phone to the same carrier that the original phone was locked to (if the original phone was unlocked, the replacement should be as well).

In this case, the replacement should be locked to Telus.

5. warfa macrumors regular

well i would assume that the rep he talked to would just order him a Rodgers phone right away since thats the carrier he is with and since he didnt specify to her/him that he has a Telus iPhone. unless they dont send out the new phone before receiving the old one.

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

There isn't really any such thing as a "Telus iPhone" or a "Rogers iPhone".

All iPhones are capable of being locked to any network, or unlocked completely.

iTunes controls the lock status of an iPhone when it is activated (or subsequently unlocked and then synced).

iTunes applies a lock to a phone based on a database maintained by Apple.

Even if Apple sent out an advanced replacement, they would be able to check the database to see which carrier that should be locked to.

7. NJDevils44 thread starter macrumors regular

NJDevils44

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

It is an advanced replacement that they are sending. So the consensus is locked?

8. profets macrumors 68040

Definitely.

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

tell them you switched to Rogers ... and ask for the Rogers iPhone. :cool:

10. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

They will replace it with the same one you sent them, so since yours was originally locked to telus they will send you a telus locked phone. If it was locked to rogers they'd send you a rogers phone. Same with unlocked...