What will AT&T do to me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spamdumpster, Aug 23, 2008.

1. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

3g iPhone. Got the text this morning from at&t telling me to update to 2.02.

Thing is, I don't have an iPhone plan -- I bought the device off CL because I don't want to switch from my current at&t blackberry plan (work reimburses me for the data, but won't for iphone data -- not worth $360 a year to switch).

Obviously, they can figure out what device people are using by checking the IMEI of the phone that the sim is using to access the network. But, I wonder whether the fact that I got the text makes it more likely that they'll flag my account or something.

Anyone have any experience with this?

2. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

There is nothing saying you *have* to upgrade, AT&T is just telling customers that the 2.02 update is available to download if you want to.

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

I wouldn't worry too much about it

First off, you have a $30 data plan (blackberry data plan). ATT is still getting their money (although I know you said your company is paying for the data because it's BB instead of iphone data).

Most people who get caught are the ones using the $15 medianet unlimited plans and they are using it 100% of the time.

ATT has about 70-80 million customers. The chances of a random audit are slim.

If you are really anal about it, just switch your ATT SIM from the iPhone into a non-iphone one day a week or just overnight so ATT's system don't read that you are using the iPhone 3g 100% of the time.

4. spamdumpster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you even read my post? Your answer has absolutely nothing to do with the question asked.

5. mrtune macrumors 6502a

You should be ok. To them, data is data. The only reason they call the data plans different names is because of a small feature or two that may be attached to it.

For instance, the iphone data plan will turn on your visual voicemail. The blackberry data plan will turn on bis.

I have a friend in the same situation as you. He's been doing it for a long time with the $20 mediamax plan he used to have on a flip phone. Since that time he's bought a few unlocked smartphones and they all work just fine, data and all. Some specialized features don't work, but it doesn't bother him.

What would happen if AT&T found out? He has no idea. He's not worried about it.

6. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

I've heard they can send some secret ops ninjas and have you killed, again just a rumor.... :p

7. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

AT&T isn't even giving the iPhone packages as far as the voice plans go. I for one stayed on my family plan and so did my dad and we're still paying the same for it. Plus we already had the 3G plans before the iPhone so didn't pay anything extra :D