What will be after OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jbrown, Jan 12, 2010.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Just wondering to myself, as Mac OS X reaches middle age.....what will replace it ( as OS X replaced System 9 ).:)

2. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Who knows.

The name is completely arbitrary, just look at windows 7. Its not version 7 but a name the marketing team came up with.

Given that the OS updates are > 12 months now, its going to be a long time (4 - 5 years maybe more) before we see 10.9

4. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

I wasn't meaning the name LOL..but the technology....

5. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

actually there is a reason
    windows 95 was 4.0
    xp was 5.0
    vista 6.0

which would make the next os 7

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Then what were Windows 98, Windows ME, and Windows 2000?

7. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

windows 98 was 4.10.xxxxx
    windows me was 4.90.xxxxx

and actually windows 2000 was 5.0
    and xp 5.1

8. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Windows NT -> began its life as Version 3.1, followed by 3.5, 3.51 and 4.0
    Windows 2000 -> Version 5.0
    Windows XP -> Version 5.1
    Windows Vista -> Version 6.0
    Windows 7 -> Version 6.1 (Yes, it actually identifies itself as 6.1)

Windows 95, 98 and Me are members of the 16-Bit kernel Windows family and are direct successors of Windows 3.1/3.11. The NT family of Windows operating systems is a different breed altogether.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

How should we know?

OS XI (or 11) is still 8 to 10 years away from us, a a lot will happen in these years.

More cores get added to CPUs, storage will get cheaper (especially SSDs), RAM will get bigger, graphic cards will get faster and so on.

All this needs to be taken advantage of, but how, that is the big question.

Apple currently tests the waters with multi touch input (with the iPhone/iPod Touch and the maybe upcoming tablet) and see how people can and will use that. They will definitely test other forms of input too, but currently multi touch is the most fashionable.

When they have worked out all the kinks, it will be included into OS XI (or one iteration of OS X), but in what way, we can only imagine. Maybe it will be like in Minority Report, maybe just a screen on the table with a display we are used to.
    Maybe something else entirely.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

So why does a kernel version number of 6.1 make it 7?

11. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

It won't be replaced. Apple will simply let it die along with the Macintosh computer family. Apple sees its future in iTunes Store powered gadgets.

The Mac as we know it might have another five years of life left, then the evolution of small mobile devices will have made it obsolete.

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I disagree. There is not a studio (music) or rehearsal room I've been in that isn't run on Mac's, because PC's are not so good with audio.

Your theory suggests that instead of a Mac Pro we will have a mac pocket device catering for all our input channels, audio processing and effects software. The use of tables or iSlate's in music studio's is also unlikely.

I believe that was done for software compatibility. Or so I heard.

13. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I predict the next OS after OS X will be called Vista. :eek: In a move calculated to rub salt in M$ wounds, Apple will acquire the rights to the Vista brand from M$ for an undisclosed sum (37 cents), and release their next OS under that name. Despite the aforementioned "toxic" moniker, Apple's new OS will continue to erode Windows market share. :p

14. santos79 macrumors regular

To state the obvious: Windows 7 is a name, not a version number.

15. brendu macrumors 68020

Someone posted in a thread awhile back that it would be cool to have facial and body recognition built into osx... similar to xbox's natal system, where the isight could detect what you are looking at and then gestures such as swiping your arm in front of the screen could switch spaces, open expose, or just about anything apple programmed it to do...

that would be pretty sweet... also they have been playing around with 3D desktops for a little while now, but im not sure those will ever become practical.. just seems like eye candy to me...

16. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Does it really matter? They could call it Windows 10,000 if they really wanted too.

Why is Mac OS X still called Mac OS X? It has had 6 major release since the original Mac OS X was released. Technically it should be Mac OS XVI.II at the moment but I guess that is slightly harder to market.

17. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Hi, I just came back from the future and I'd like to tell you tha

18. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

well 6 +1 = 7 ... maybe that is what they were thinking...

19. mstrze macrumors 68000

Really? nearly a decade away from a new OS for the MAC?

OS X is already what? 10 years old....so you are saying that the Mac platform will be on the same system software (with tweaks, of course) for 20 years!?!?

That would be like using System 6 right now on your Mac or Windows what? 2.0???

Then again...who knows? OS X is a VERY good operating system and has been able to adapt to changes for the last 10 years. Maybe there won't be a wholesale change soon. Or maybe with MS products mimicing the look and feel, Apple will re-invent the OS sooner than later.

20. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

OR

BUT NOT

Consistency is king, or queen to be PC.

Sorry, but that opportunity was to good to be true.

Back to topic:

Although Apple caters more for consumers than professionals (who are consumers too), I don't think that they will move all their products to mobile gadgetry, as many people might like to have a simple computer at home, or at least one to sit down to and use more conventionally.

OR

Although Apple caters more for consumer's than professional's (who are consumer's too), I don't think that they will move all their product's to mobile gadgetry, as many people like to have a simple computer at home, or at least one to sit down to and use more conventionally.

Steve Jobs said in one of his keynotes or an interview, that Mac OS X is good for the next two decades and as Mac OS X was introduced in 1999, it is still a while to go.

10.7 will be released around 10/2011 or later (Apple said, they will take some time with that.
    10.8 might be released around 2013/4.
    10.9 might come around 2016.

And there can be a Mac OS X 10.10 or 10.11.

21. brendu macrumors 68020

spinnerlys I do recall Jobs saying OSX could last about 2 decades... but when did apple say they would be taking some time for 10.7?

What I really want to know is when MAC OSX kitten is coming....

22. slyreptile macrumors newbie

@Winni....Interesting info on the naming! Thx!

23. santos79 macrumors regular

Could there be an OS X 11.0? Never really understood why Apple likes to repeat the number ten.