Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aldo

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
England, UK
Originally posted by zellin

And plus I have one that I am almost positive that they will add that is extremely specific:
If I have a bookmark that I named "MacRumors", and if I type "MacRumors" into the address bar, it will load MacRumors. Obviously here it is not very useful because I would just have to add .com, but what if you have published a calendar of Macworld on .Mac? Type in iCal-Macworld (or whatever you named it) and it will load the corresponding url. It is so Apple-like in terms of convenience.
Also I predict it is announced January 1st (remember iCal/iSync?).

Mozilla Firebird does this. You can take it another step further and by putting a '%s' in where the search text would be in the URL, you can make your own search engine script by just typing 'bookmarkname keywords'. It works really well.

Firebird is a far superior browser compared to Safari in almost all ways apart from its UI (sticks out even with the pinstripe theme) and also OS integration.

Freakk123

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Bronx, NY
I'm on cable in New York (Optimum Online), and when I download from apple, I often get even faster speeds than that, sometimes even near the 1 MBPS Range, generally closer to 500 or 600. ITS AWESOME!

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Naming downloads...

I definitely want the option to name a download. Why would I want to save something as, say, 'xyz_20b_inst.dmg' and not as 'XYZ 2.0b Installer.dmg'? That's definitely a feature I find missing in Safari 1.0 and 1.1.

:(

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Originally posted by Freakk123
I'm on cable in New York (Optimum Online), and when I download from apple, I often get even faster speeds than that, sometimes even near the 1 MBPS Range, generally closer to 500 or 600. ITS AWESOME!

Hehe ... I guess you searched hard to find a download big enough not to be finished by the time you were ready to take a screenshot, didn't you?! :eek:

Lucky bastard! :D

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by Freakk123

Damn ... i usually get 200 - 300

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by bburchill
3205 kbps here...I think that is also represented as 3.2 mbps - Comcast Pro (cable)

Yep, we get 3 Mbps downstream and 384 kbps upstream here over DSL. We also have digital TV, VOD, and digital music over our DSL as well, so each residential home is actually getting an 8 Mbps stream into their home over copper - not too shabby for DSL!

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Originally posted by ChrisH3677
- https sites to work behind a firewall. This is a must.
I know a lot of people have already posted about this but I have noticed that you are running 10.2.8. I found that when I was running Jaguar I could not get Safari to load up any https sites from behind my uni firewall. It is apparently a bug in version 1.0.

The simple answer at the moment appears to be: upgrade to Panther. Panther's Safari is at 1.1.1 and this problem fixed itself for me when I upgraded. I don't really understand why Safari isn't kept independant of the OS because I can't see any new features in it other than bug fixes. Denying these to Jaguar users is mad.

Here comes the interesting question then: will Safari 2.0, when it comes, be available only for v10.3 and higher?

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
I'd like to see:
1) Disabling of *looping* of animated GIFs. In IE they allow disabling of animation *and/or* looping. It's the looping that needs to be disabled. This helps keep pages from flashing so you can read them.

2) Easy disabling of specific plug-ins....especially Flash. I often want to disable Flash to read a page and then the next site I go to I want to enable it because some retard has used it for the navigation of the site.

3) Ideally merge items 1 and 2 into one toolbar button that's a "freeze button".

4) Opening an image in its own window should show full properties of the image. Ideally it should show a full copyable HTML tag for the image with height, width, border=0, and full URL.

5) Better drag and drop URL support.

6) The ability to customize the search box (like 3rd party apps do, but not well).

7) Ability to customize the toolbar...not with a set of predefined buttons, but the ability to actually create buttons like in IE for the Mac with Javascript and custom icons.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
They need to standardise the toolbars in Mac OS X, or at least have one for Aqua and one for Metal. I was pleased that the new Finder still has the same toolbar support as the Jaguar Finder.

However, Safari doesn't play by the rules, with its own proprietry set of icons and graphics. If you open the Safari application package you can see all the graphics they have used which explains why they still go blue when you click them even when you have the appearances set to graphite. I noticed that the Finder's navigation buttons (now the same as Safari's) do change to graphite when you change the appearance settings (although strangely now the Finder close/minimise/zoom widgets stay multicoloured in graphite mode - in 10.3.1 at least!).

Getting used to Windows XP at home (our new family PC desktop) and I can't believe how much they've integrated the Windows "Finder" (explorer) with Internet Explorer - i.e. they are the same! E.g. I was navigating My Documents folder when suddenly I clicked a link which turned it into an internet website, not a folder on my hard drive! Not sure I like it. Mind you, with Panther, Safari and the Finder are getting closer together, appearance-wise at least.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I will typically get 100-400 KB/s at school, which isn't bad. We have 3 fractional T1s. I would like to see some CSS improvements in Safari 2, and to have it be able to handle Groupwise Webmail (I know that's far fetched but I am forced to use it quite often.) Some page display problems are really really really annoying. For example:

blast. the pictures don't work. Whatever. Safari cannot render the Groupwise webaccess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.