What Will Be Your First Book Read on the iPad?

Hard-Hat-Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Philly Burbs
Will it be something familiar? A free classic? Will you even download the iBooks App?

I know I've been browsing the NYT Best Sellers to see what I might like for my next flight.

For me , I've always wanted to read FREAKONOMICS so I hope it's available on launch.

Will Jobs eat his words? "It doesn't matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don't read anymore... The whole conception is flawed at the top because people don't read anymore."

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I want to check out

No One Would Listen By Harry Markopolos

Quick Synopsis by Wikipedia: "No One Would Listen: A True Financial Thriller is a book by whistleblower Harry Markopolos about his investigation into the Madoff investment scandal and how the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission failed to react to his warnings."

Also, I haven't read a book in YEARS. So I'm gonna give it a shot with iPad. :)

Edit: Damn I don't think Wiley will be on board as a publisher? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I'm going to have to see what's available. I actually just got into reading as a hobby this year and been reading mostly fantasy novels. I'm actually about to wrap up the Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist. I was hoping to start either the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb or The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie, but it all depends on what publishers have signed on board. I know the Farseer Trilogy is published by Random House, so I'm hoping a deal is struck soon.

I guess the question is how big the library is going to be to begin with. Even with the publishers than have signed on, are we going to be seeing mostly new releases or NYT best sellers?

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
I'm thinking either The Lost Symbol or Under the Dome.

Cliché, I know, but good books from what I've heard. Might re-read the Eragon trilogy and read LotR.

StBDawg

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2008
I'm thinking either The Lost Symbol or Under the Dome.

Cliché, I know, but good books from what I've heard. Might re-read the Eragon trilogy and read LotR.
I read Under the Dome last month, very very good book, I can't praise it enough.

harry*333

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
whatever I have to read for school, I'll probably get it from iBooks just because it's convenient

msduncan

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Book 5 of the Wheel of Time series.... I'm working my way through them for the first time.

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2002
I want to check out

No One Would Listen By Harry Markopolos

Quick Synopsis by Wikipedia: "No One Would Listen: A True Financial Thriller is a book by whistleblower Harry Markopolos about his investigation into the Madoff investment scandal and how the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission failed to react to his warnings."

Also, I haven't read a book in YEARS. So I'm gonna give it a shot with iPad. :)

Edit: Damn I don't think Wiley will be on board as a publisher? Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Pretty darned good choice there.

Young Turk

paulisme

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008
Charleston, SC
For some strange reason I really want to read Ted Kennedy's memoirs. I don't know why, but that just seems like a perfect book to read on the iPad.:D

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
iBooks is a big reason I'm buying the iPad, so here are a few of the books I'll be downloading (assuming they're available, depending on the publisher...)

Neuromancer, Mona Lisa Overdrive (William Gibson)
The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings (J.R.R. Tolkien)
The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
A few key reference manuals for popular programs

The first book I'm gonna read is Neuromancer. I must've read it over 20 times so far, but it's been about 3 years since the last time, so it's time to revisit Chiba City :)