Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
What do you mean the original iphone had no SDK? Ofcourse it did since the 2.0 days.

I'm pretty sure that the previous poster is referring to the third-party apps available for jailbroken OS 1 devices.

Its not like you can use an iphone 3G or 3GS IPSW to install on a 2G or modify it to work for a 2G.

There's been no reason to try until now, so we don't know how easy or difficult it is.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
What do you mean the original iphone had no SDK? Ofcourse it did since the 2.0 days.
Its not as simple as you think.
When it comes to itunes integration and many other aspects like cellular network and other complications it will not just function like that if it wasnt created by Apple.

Read first, reply afterwards.

The original iPhone OS had no SDK, but the dev community created an entire custom toolchain to make it possible.

iPhone OS 1.0 or the original iPhone OS had no official native SDK or toolchain.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Read first, reply afterwards.
iPhone OS 1.0 or the original iPhone OS had no official native SDK or toolchain.

By custom toolchain you mean the installer and cydia apps for JB iphones?
What you're thinking is not as easy as hacking a firmware and finding an exploit to use to gain full acess to the devices root.
I guess we will find out in the near future but dont hold your breath :D

Gib

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
Sorry to bump an old thread, but that is better than starting a new one...

So it begins... I downloaded a few apps this past week, planning on installing them on my 3.1.2 iPhone. I received an error message, stating the iPhone was not compatible with the app. This is a small problem this time, but imagine if it was an app I used all the time.

To implement any multitasking (or any other new API in 4.0), the developers are going to have to update their apps. Anyone who doesn't update to the latest software (or can't because their hardware won't be supported) will be seeing a bunch of these error messages popping up. It seems I (as well as anyone else who has a iPhone 2G) am going to be left out in the dark for Apps, and it will only get worse and worse...

Now I am not trying to sound like a cry baby. I understand Apple needs to cut off the old tech in order to keep innovating (a la Snow Leopard cutting off PPC support). I know I'll eventually upgrade to the latest and greatest iPhone and iPad and iWhateverElse... Just thought people with an old 2G should be aware of the situation.

On an unrelated note, I am considering selling a used iPhone 2G... I can give you a real good deal. ;)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 139

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I find it hard to believe that the devteam can get an android build in a dual boot for the 2g but modifying the iphone 3g 4.0 firmware to load on the 2g is "impossible" itll happen i bet.

Gib

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
Why are you getting an iPad when you could upgrade your phone?

Besides all the bigger screen, better apps, blah blah blah reasons? Money, and a contract with T-Mobile.

Jailbroken iPhone 2G = $30/month
Newest iPhone = $90/month

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Besides all the bigger screen, better apps, blah blah blah reasons? Money, and a contract with T-Mobile.

Jailbroken iPhone 2G = $30/month
Newest iPhone = $90/month

I had a 2g unlocked on tmo how the hell did you get it down to 30 a month? I even had the grandfathered 4.99 data plan. And it was still like 70

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.