What will break on the new MacBooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Smallville, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Smallville macrumors regular

As is with any brand new machine, whether it's a computer, car, etc. something always goes wrong with the first of the batch.

It's why I don't buy the first new anything. I'll get a MacBook aluminum, but not until there's a revision next year to fix all the bugs.

What could go wrong with these?

2. sydsamcan macrumors newbie

Aside from some easily updated firmware issues what went wrong with the first batch of MacBook Airs? Was it fixed in this update?

Do you have any examples of MacBook lines that had "something go wrong" in the first version?

3. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Well, the MBPs had yellow screens, screen and processor hiss/whines, vertical stripes on screens, display scrambling and more, all of which were never fixed. Apple never fixed the problems and just moved on to the newer MBPs. The Macbooks had yellowing casings, cracking cases, mooing fans and more. The Airs had less construction issues due to the newer case design, but there were reports of hinges snapping and becoming loose, overheating, and other random things. No Apple laptop I've seen have been free from issues, especially the first rev ones.

random site of defects:
    http://appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

4. Ochire macrumors member

Yeah that's why I can see some people waiting a month to see if any problems become apparent.. and if so, then wait till the refresh in 6 months.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The glass screens will be the very first things to start breaking. You guys complain about "CrackBooks"? Just wait- there will be a whole new meaning to that term in about a month.

6. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Correct me if I am wrong but don't the Air's have the same exact screens? There doesn't seem to have been any problems with them yet, no?

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

AFAIK, the last gen Air's screen is the same as the last gen MBs, only LED backlit.

8. Ochire macrumors member

Right, and the macbook's is like pure glass.. whereas the air has a bezel.

9. ec51 macrumors 6502

Unless cracks in the glass appear spontaneously like they did in my Crackbook I shouldnt have a problem.

10. Smallville thread starter macrumors regular

I've had problems whenever I was foolish enough to buy the first of a new product line.

In both my iMac G5 and MacBook, I had massive logic board failures. I'm talking about replace two boards per machine. My MacBook also had cracked plastic. MacBook also had battery issues.

I have an aluminum iMac now, but I waited a revision before buying. The first of anything always has problems to work out. In less than two weeks, there'll be at least two dozen threads with people complaining about something.