What will existing users do if the iPhone 4g has a micro-sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mossme89, May 20, 2010.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

So, the latest rumors have the iPhone 4G with a micro-sim. So, what can existing users (especially overseas), who only have a mini-sim, do to get the mini-sim to work with the new iPhone? Do you think cutting the sim would work?

2. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

I'm sure you can ask your service provider for a new sim....they might charge you a few quid is all

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Why wouldn't you get a new (free) SIM card with the iPhone, the same as every other iPhone before this one? Is that only an AT&T thing? :confused:

4. Anastacio macrumors regular

They'll eventually launch the Micro-SIMs in those countries. The service providers will introduce and sell the Micro-SIMs in the Nordic market beginning this month.

If your country doesn't get those cards, then you can cut your existing Mini SIM and it'll work.

5. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Knowing O2 Ireland, they'll have the phones in stock in July but no SIMs for them until September.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

New phone always comes with new SIM inside.

Please try search. There are discussions on this.

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Back in the days, Cingular charges $20 for a replacement sim card. I was actually surprised when AT&T recently provided one for free.

8. profets macrumors 68040

well, since late 2009 in canada new iPhones never came with new SIM inside anymore, instead one stuck to the outside of the box. but yeah, anyway, the phone always comes with a new sim. and is mostly done by the carrier anyway before shipping iphones out to stores/customers.

9. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

LOL. New phones IN THE UNITED STATES always come with new SIM inside.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Well obviously the carrier in each respective country will provide micro-sims if they sell the iPhone. It's not like they'll sell you a phone they can't support. Can't even understand why this question keeps coming up. Even if you use it on a non-iPhone carrier, it's not hard to figure out. When I first heard of the micro-sim I did a quick Google and 5 mins later I knew everything I needed to know. It's a VERY simple concept.

The only valid question I've seen about this is if you can pop it in your 3G iPad and use the same data plan.

11. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I complained about poor service in certain areas of my town. They actually blamed it on the SIM and provided a replacement (which of course didn't help)

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Cut your sim and you want to use it as a regural sim you can get an adapter for it.
    I already picked some up for $5.

13. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

The sim comes pre installed in the phone. They don't put it in when u buy the phone. They've done this forever with all the iPhones. Well at least in the us, they will sell them if they want to sell the phone.

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Some are saying this is only true in the US???

Either way, the carrier is going to give you the sim you need. I guess some could charge for it.

15. profets macrumors 68040

in the US it could be like that, but like I said earlier this is not the case in Canada where 5 carriers (really 3 companies) carry the iphone.

anyway, i dont see what the big deal is. i'm sure if you were to buy a new iphone that you would get a new micro sim card with it.

16. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

I see what you are saying... But theoretically, if i take the micro-sim that is included in the phone and go to activate, couldn't i activate it on AT&T's gophone? I've done that before with SIMs (mini) that were not for gophone. I was under the impression that a SIM is a SIM, and you can activate it for any plan (that atleast they let you) on that specific network.

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

A sim is a sim and you can activate it however you like.

18. mossme89 thread starter macrumors 6502

So does anybody have any updates? Do you think a cut down mini sim would work in iphone 4?

Would i be able to use the micro-sim that comes with iphone 4 to activate on gophone (like any other AT&T SIM), or are they limited to post-paid?