What will give me best performance?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xjosh, Jun 12, 2013.

1. xjosh macrumors regular

What will be best?

I have a Netgear CG3000 modem + router from my provider.
    I also have an Airport Express, so would it be better to set it up as a 5ghz AP?

Please see my network map.

Which is best? Example 1 or 2?

[​IMG]

Thanks.

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I think segregating the bands is an effective use of bandwidth. But as you set it up, remember that 5Ghz is more susceptible to surrounding structure (walls+floors) so the range may not be what you might expect. Therefore, place the 5ghz AP in a location where 5ghz clients might be most heavily concentrated a majority of the time. Otherwise you might find many of those clients not getting an adequate signal on the one band you relegate them to. Thus not taking advantage of having a multi band setup.

I tried segregating bands when I first implemented a dual band environment. But found that for roaming devices (iphones, ipad, laptop) the 5ghz signal fluctuated throughout the house too much to rely on it, esp. the laptop. Fortunately most of my fixed clients (desktops and closer Apple TVs) are located in comfortable range of the router and receive a strong 5ghz. With that, I simply reset the router to a auto mode (simultaneous) and it all works itself out in the end letting clients choose the strongest band as needed. The fixed clients tend to remain on 5ghz and the roaming clients tend to ride the 2.4ghz, sometimes switching to 5ghz when in comfortable range.

3. xjosh thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much.
    My home is pretty small, so I think the range will be ok.
    I can also make a seperate SSID for 5ghz, so they can't roam. Is that better and more stabile?

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

If 5ghz provides a good signal throughout the entire home then separate SSIDs is good way to force a client onto a single band without the worry of signal strength running weak.

Is that better and more stable? That comes down to the most effective arrangement for your unique environment and your usage needs. And without lots more detail of your physical environment, topical layout, emissions environment, clients, client usage patterns, etc. only you can assess whats better or more stable.

IMO, the typical home user with the typical array of consumer devices doing typical home network activities is just wasting their time using anything other than single SSID in auto mode for a dual band setup. But, hey, who doesn't like to tinker :D

5. xjosh thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much! I'm gonna try both methods today!

I just want some more options, thanks :)