Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think Glass will look like?

• Steve Jobs's glasses

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Google Glass

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Lenses

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Sunglasses

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • A completely different design(post in this thread)

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NSLabs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2020
Hey guys! I was wondering what Apple's glasses would look like. One post said they would look like Steve Jobs's glasses but I don't know if they will go with that. You can vote in the poll.

Steve Jobs "Heritage" concept:
1590520341894.png
Google Glass:
1590520383160.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveWotzit

ThaGoochiestMane

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2020
I'm not a big fan of the Apple Watch design, and many others seemed to agree, but it's caught on regardless and now even I have one.

So for that reason, I'm actually hoping Apple comes out with another design that seems ridiculous and backwards in comparison to the analog version (traditional glasses). But sadly I assume they'll go for a more generic (Ray Ban) shape or maybe even just make the lenses the shape of the Apple Watch (that'd be something).

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
The rumor about the sort of design that Tim Cook might wear sounds most plausible. However, down the road (literally), I look forward to a pair of large prescription Oakley style cycling goggles with useful AR functionality.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Glasses are so much more personal that even a watch - if you wear them, they're something you really cannot hide, and definitely inform everyone else's first impressions of you. I don't think it's an overstatement to say they are the most personal accessory anyone could wear. They need to suit you, and you need to enjoy wearing them.

For that reason, I think there will be a large variety of frames. I don't think it will be like the Apple Watch where there is only a differentiation in material and size, I think (/hope) there will be circular, rectuangular, squircle, cateye, aviator etc. options. Maybe Apple will even partner with traditional frame manufacturers to create designs (I don't think this is especially likely, but not impossible considering things like the Hermes collaboration).

Of course they will be bulkier than normal glasses, but I think they will look as close to them as is possible with current technology. Probably the closest current product would be the North Focals, though hopefully Apple can create something even sleeker.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Their glasses they do VR. I like the fact they would run rOS (or Reality Operating System) ....Sounds cool..

At least the name does..

ThaGoochiestMane

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2020
Glasses are so much more personal that even a watch - if you wear them, they're something you really cannot hide, and definitely inform everyone else's first impressions of you. I don't think it's an overstatement to say they are the most personal accessory anyone could wear. They need to suit you, and you need to enjoy wearing them.

For that reason, I think there will be a large variety of frames. I don't think it will be like the Apple Watch where there is only a differentiation in material and size, I think (/hope) there will be circular, rectuangular, squircle, cateye, aviator etc. options. Maybe Apple will even partner with traditional frame manufacturers to create designs (I don't think this is especially likely, but not impossible considering things like the Hermes collaboration).

Of course they will be bulkier than normal glasses, but I think they will look as close to them as is possible with current technology. Probably the closest current product would be the North Focals, though hopefully Apple can create something even sleeker.
I too wondered about partnering with other companies, and I could see various sizes, but I really can't see Apple releasing different shapes. Different shapes would generally require different lenses (which isn't the best for Tim Cook's supply-line optimizations), and more importantly different shapes could possibly lead to drastically different experiences (which Apple doesn't appear to like).

I can't imagine somebody wearing Tim Cook-esque glasses would have as good of an experience as someone wearing Paul Allen-esque aviators with those huge FOVs, and for that I don't think they could be comparable in terms of price. But I could see them doing it if it was more like the iPad/iPod lineup (with differing features depending on price) as opposed to the MacBook Pro.
[automerge]1592712799[/automerge]

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I too wondered about partnering with other companies, and I could see various sizes, but I really can't see Apple releasing different shapes. Different shapes would generally require different lenses (which isn't the best for Tim Cook's supply-line optimizations), and more importantly different shapes could possibly lead to drastically different experiences (which Apple doesn't appear to like).

I can't imagine somebody wearing Tim Cook-esque glasses would have as good of an experience as someone wearing Paul Allen-esque aviators with those huge FOVs, and for that I don't think they could be comparable in terms of price. But I could see them doing it if it was more like the iPad/iPod lineup (with differing features depending on price) as opposed to the MacBook Pro.
[automerge]1592712799[/automerge]
I see what you mean, but I think to launch a successful pair of glasses, you need some variety of lens shape. Maybe not as many as I first suggested, but some people just don't suit e.g. square lenses. I know I don't. Glasses are such a personal piece that I really can't see a one size fits all solution (that is if it's designed to be worn all day and not a AR headset you use for shorter periods of time where looks are less important).

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I agree glasses are extremely personal—in terms of taste and getting the right look and fit for a person’s face. Apple should really have at least two shapes, sizes, and colors/patterns (total of 6 permutations minimum) at launch, with more options to follow. Though I think it’s possible they’ll start with one shape (4 permutations).

I don’t think they will look like Steve’s glasses, it’s too niche of a style. Definitely won’t look like those weird google glasses. Apple will probably choose one or two styles that are somewhere between safe and chic.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
They're going to have to have different styles, if not offer a BYO frame solution. The way your glasses affect the way you look is massive, they're a way more personal item than any other device Apple sells and they can't do their usual 2-3 options in hopes of covering all needs.

ader42

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
They will look like the glasses that the Apple AR engineers wear on the WWDC videos ;)
Customisation will be colour and material like everything other device.
Expect them to require an iPhone and use the iPhone for the processing.

Voltarious

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2020
Apparently they're coming out in 2021 or 2022.

This will definitely take the market by suprise. Apple just don't know when to quit.
Source:

chcurtis

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2021
Apparently they're coming out in 2021 or 2022.

This will definitely take the market by suprise. Apple just don't know when to quit.
Source: (video removed to prevent duplication)
This video is from "Cashtige", which has only one subscriber, and they do not list any source for their information. Doesn't sound particularly authoritative to me.

Andy Ward

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2020
I vote "sunglasses", hope it can like most of sunglasses, fashion in style and can choose colors. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Cyluks

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2019
I’m just hoping for titanium frames. I don’t want to go back to lower quality plastic frames.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.