Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Will the entire part need to be replaced like those with butterfly keyboard? I read that with the magic keyboard, individual keys could be replaced without swapping the entire keyboard. Can all the keys be individually replaced?

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
uhhh no. the keyCAPS can be replaced individually, but the entire keyboard is a single assembly riveted into the chassis.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
uhhh no. the keyCAPS can be replaced individually, but the entire keyboard is a single assembly riveted into the chassis.

So if AppleCare+ ends and the keyboard cannot be fixed by replacing individual keyCAPS, then we need to pay a lot of money to have the chassis replaced?

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
I’m not concerned with the “what ifs.” Keyboards sometimes fail and one deals with it.

I bought a new 2018 15” a few months ago because I had to have a replacement then and I found it at a great price. I haven’t spent any time with concern over the infamous butterfly keyboard. Had I had the luxury of waiting, I would have jumped on the new 16” with its scissors keyboard and wouldn’t give the new keyboard a second thought.

MontTrain

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
As per the ifixit tear down

Nooooo! Once again, the keyboard assembly is riveted down. Though the switches are likely less vulnerable to crumbly assailants, the keyboard itself isn't any more repairable than the Butterfly boards.

It's basically 2016 all over again: we've got a new keyboard married to a non-serviceable design, with only Apple's word that it "won't break." And this one isn't even a part of the Keyboard Service Program, so ... : /

The one glimmer of hope is that this new keyboard design is extremely similar to past Apple keyboards that have mostly withstood the test of time.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Without a doubt, if this keyboard has the same pitfalls as previous models, it will be added to the four year program before anyone who bought it will be out of warranty.

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
So if AppleCare+ ends and the keyboard cannot be fixed by replacing individual keyCAPS, then we need to pay a lot of money to have the chassis replaced?

Yes, but I wouldn't worry about the keyboard on this having a problem. It's a proven keyboard design that's been in use in other products with slight modifications, not an entirely new, unknown keyboard.

Don't worry about the keyboard anymore.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

Yes, the same as every MacBook Pro ever made.
[automerge]1574277132[/automerge]
Yes, but I wouldn't worry about the keyboard on this having a problem. It's a proven keyboard design that's been in use in other products with slight modifications, not an entirely new, unknown keyboard.

Don't worry about the keyboard anymore.

But also don't forget that scissor keyboard fails too. Not because it is bad, but because everything fails. By now, its pretty clear that butterfly (especially the earlier designs) is more prone to failure (by a factor of 2-3 according to the only empirical study I am aware of), but it doesn't mean that scissor failure chance is zero. We have a pile of broken magic keyboards in our cellar, as a matter of fact.

People have been so caught up in all this butterfly fiasco, that they forgot the basic facts of chance. Your keyboard will not fail just because it happens to be butterfly design, and your keyboard is not safe just because it uses scissor design.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.