What will happen to boot camp after migration assistant?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by alex.purple.mac, Dec 20, 2010.

1. alex.purple.mac macrumors member

I have a 15Gb boot camp partition on my 80Gb macbook hard drive (its the 2006 intel one and I haven't upgraded it because I keep everything on an external HD). I need to move everything over to my macbook pro which has a 250Gb HD.

I was wondering if Migration assistant will move everything (including XP) onto the new macbook pro (and if so, what size will the partition be) or if it will just leave the XP bit untouched as it isn't part of the mac?

I only use the XP bit for playing some older games that I absolutely love (Rome Total War, The Sims 2) and in case of any incompatibility problems, so if need be I can just create a new XP partition on the new Pro. However I would like to keep my saved games, so is there a way of migrating the windows partition as well?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Migration Assistant will not move your XP.

You will have to install a new copy of XP and use something like the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in XP (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx) to transfer your files. Ideally start that process on the old machine while it is still running/activated and finish it up when you have installed on the other system.

B

3. alex.purple.mac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help. I'm not that 'genned' up on windows to be honest... I have the games all saved to an external HD. If I plug it into the new XP partition, or any XP PC for that matter, and insert the disc, could the game be ready to go?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Are the games coming from Steam?

B

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Winclone can transfer bootcamp. Search the forum for more info.

6. alex.purple.mac thread starter macrumors member

Nope, I have the disc for them. To be honest it isn't a problem just deleting them and starting again, I just wanted to keep my saved games :)

7. alex.purple.mac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the winclone tip! I'm currently using it to create a copy of XP on my spare HD.

Don't suppose you know how it works with the reinstall? Do I have to create the partition and then copy the data over? Or do I just plug it into the new macbook pro and it'll create the partition for me?

8. balamw, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Winclone is designed to clone and restore Windows on the same hardware it will move everything to your new machine and will do some of the work of setting up the partitions and the like, but you will still have issues with activation and getting all the drivers working again.

Typically, just using Winclone to move from one system to another, will result in BSODs, unless you combine it with the use of SYSPREP or the like. Generally, it would be quicker to reinstall. (Which is why I didn't suggest Winclone to begin with).

Examples: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=903580, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=796791

B

9. alex.purple.mac thread starter macrumors member

Oh right, hmm thanks for the tip. I will give it a go anyway and see what happens.

Thanks for your help guys

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Just wanted you to be aware that it hasn't worked out swimmingly for others.

It should be a lot smoother if you can run SYSPREP on the system you are making the image from before you image it.

B

11. alex.purple.mac thread starter macrumors member

Winclone didn't work. Well it did to an extent, but the driver problem stopped me using it really.

I was wondering then, if i were to install xp through boot camp, if i plugged my external HD in, where all my games are installed, would I be good to play?

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Unfortunately, that depends on the specific game. If the games were delivered by Steam, yes. Other games may have shared components that are installed on C: whether you like it or not and may freak out without them. Others may have registry keys that will be missing, ...

B