What will happen to MobileMe Websites?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JASApplications, Jun 8, 2011.

1. JASApplications macrumors 65816

I can't see anywhere where it says iCloud will have the website hosting that MobileMe does. Will we still be able to host websites on iCloud?

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I'd like to know this too, but I'm willing to bet the service will be discontinued.

3. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Given that iWeb still exists I'm betting iCloud will have some way to host stuff.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they make you manually move your stuff from MM to iCloud. It's a pain, but from Apple's viewpoint it's good opportunity to cull a lot of old stuff that people really don't care about anymore.

5. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess but it isn't very good that I'm still paying my $99 a year and they want me to do it all manually! Hopefully it will be free on iCloud however I kinda doubt it!

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Why? They said you get 5GB free and they have that program that makes websites.

I mean, I may be wrong and they won't allow hosting but then I have to figure they'll cancel future versions of iWeb. Is that likely? I dunno, seems odd to me.

7. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

If you haven't already you will receive an email from Apple explaining about the end of life stage of MobileMe. I have mine.

8. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

Haven't got it yet, look forward to reading it!

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

here you go

10. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Apple hasn't announced exactly what will happen with existing MobileMe customers.

iCloud has no clear replacement for Homepage, iWeb, iDisk or Gallery (among other things).

They've only said that MobileMe will close on June 30th 2012 - they haven't said how/when users will be able to "transition" to the new service and what will happen to content on the sections of MobileMe that will close.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Information about the MobileMe transition
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597

12. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

None of that answers the OP's point.

Do MobileMe galleries get moved to iCloud's "Photo Stream"? Can people still make a gallery on me.com through iCloud?

Does everything in iDisk get moved to the iCloud "Documents" section?

MobileMe is much more than Bookmarks and Calendars.

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I figured that this part would have answered the OP question

14. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i too am concerned about this. i use idisk heavily and i would like a better understanding of what will happend to my docs on idisk at the time of the "switch".

15. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

16. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

On Monday June 6th, at 4:48pm

but the information is also location right below the Log In

[​IMG]

17. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Well, in case it hasn't become obvious yet, iWeb IS dead. It officially died when iLife was updated last year.

That pretty much means that iCloud will not be hosting any of our sites, galleries after June 30th, 2012 anymore.

I, myself, have 3 high-traffic iWeb sites. And now it's a major headache for me to figure out where to move them. Why can't certain things (like hosting) just be stable and permanent for once?! Ugh. :mad:

18. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah ok so it wasn't long ago. Worried that they might have missed me out or something!

19. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I think iCloud is great... however, I would glady pay to keep all the things I have now on MobileMe, including the 20GB cloud storage I have now. I'm using more than 5GB, doesnt seem fair. Apple has to announce some kind of "premium" service for this, or they are goign to irk a lot of loyal iTools/.Mac/MobileMe users. If not simply for the fact that I JUST paid $99 a few months ago to renew my service, where is the money I spent on those months past the iCloud launch going?

20. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

1. If you were a Mobile Me user before June 06, 2011 (regardless of when your account was supposed to expire later this year), Apple has extended it until June 30, 2012 for free.

2. If this screenshot from another forum user is to be correct (and not just a bug in the beta), then you will have the option to buy more storage once your Mobile Me account expires next year.

[​IMG]

21. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

The main concern still remains: will iCloud let us continue hosting our iWeb sites and Galleries beyond the set deadline? Wether we can buy 20GB or 100GB of storage in the future, the question still remains. Do you understand what I'm saying?

22. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Quite.

If the Gallery feature goes, iCloud and MobileMe are dead to me.

23. unobtainium macrumors 68000

Apple should really issue some kind of statement about this ASAP. Who wants to put a lot of work and time into their website when they're not sure if they'll have to scrap it and start fresh a year from now? If iWeb is dead, let us know that it's dead Apple. Don't just leave us wondering.

24. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i thought the same thing. iLife didn't have an updated iWeb. I would gladly pay $25 a year for some storage and web hosting. I dont use it often but it comes in handy a lot of the time. Also whats going to happen to Back to my Mac as i high really rely on this. I think they should take, iDisk, Gallery, Web Hosting, and Back to my Mac and either include it or charge a small fee (meaning $25 or less). This would please a lot of current customers.

25. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I'm guessing (hoping) that as they haven't said for sure how they'll be dealing with these services they either a) Haven't decided or b) intend to offer them at a cost.

I've got a business website running from my web storage so I really hope it's not deleted.