What will happen to my GM installation on Oct. 22?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by DominikHoffmann, Oct 16, 2013.

1. DominikHoffmann macrumors regular

DominikHoffmann

Like most of you I have installed the Golden Master of Mavericks. Do any of you from previous releases, what will happen, when the commercial release comes out?

Will it be:

(a) nothing, or

(b) a software update to bring the Golden Master in line with the commercial release?

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

(a) Nothing

(a 1.1) Unless they release updates and you update

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

4. windnsea26 macrumors member

I'm thinking this will be it. I still haven't had many issues that would warrant some crazy fix where they would have to release another GM.

5. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Software update won't show anything on the day it is released because you are already on the latest version of Mavericks. It will show subsequent updates like 10.9.1.

6. MeUnix macrumors 6502

GM is the public release. When OS X 10.9.1 comes you'll be notified for an update in the App Store.

- Kyle

7. DominikHoffmann thread starter macrumors regular

DominikHoffmann

In this case it actually wasn't the final release. Yesterday, we got 13A603, superseding the previous "Golden Master," Build 13A598. I have a drive that still has 13A598 installed and will check, whether there is some software update bringing it up to 13A603.

8. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Looks like it's a full reinstall, 5 GB file from the Developer Portal. The previous GM cannot be "Software Updated" to the newest build. Had success installing the GMv2 over top of the previous GM with no hitches.

9. bwat47 macrumors regular

We don't know that yet. A lot of people said the DP wouldn't be able to update to the GM, and then a while later the GM showed up in software update for DP8 users.

There's also a lot of developers that installed the original GM, *and* this "new gm" can currently only be installed by manually re-downloading it from the app store, meaning there's still probably many debs running the original GM. IMO it wouldn't make much sense for apple to make all these devs do a full re-install for a new GM build that has relatively minor updates.

10. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I updated from 598 to 603 on 6 various systems, all are fine. Go for it.

Downloaded straight from the app store.

11. DominikHoffmann thread starter macrumors regular

DominikHoffmann

Second that. I just checked for software updates on an external drive that still had Build 13A598 on it. Nothing to take it to 13A603.

As it is, I am happy, as the new build seems to have fixed the constant kernel panics, which happened on my Early 2011 MacBook Pro every 30 to 60 min.

12. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

your mac will spontaneously combust, if you're reading this, run away now!

13. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

Do we have to update if we're on 603 from the app store?

14. DominikHoffmann thread starter macrumors regular

DominikHoffmann

In another post I posed the question about which build the consumer release is. The answer is, it’s 13A603, the same as the second Golden Master.

You won’t have to do anything to your installation, therefore.

Based on my own testing (see above) I know that if you have the first Golden Master (Build 13A598) installed there is no software update to update it to Build 13A603. You would have to install the newer version over the older one or simply wait until 10.9.1 comes out.

15. Dredd macrumors newbie

That seems wildly unsafe. The 10.9.1 installer is -- likely -- only going to contain the updated files between 13A603 and (whatever build 10.9.1 is).

Yes, Apple MIGHT include the 13A598->13A603 files again as a "just in case" but I wouldn't count on that at all, and expecting that to be true may just make your life a living hell, subtly, down the road.

16. mcrum23 macrumors member

Thanks, I downloaded Mavericks from the apple store then lunched the app and 30 minutes later here I am, everything went fine, plus now I'm able to download some new updates for aperture and some other apps.