What will happen to the iphone line up next year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blaze4G, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Blaze4G macrumors 65816

So I was curious what will happen next year to the iphone line up. Will there be an updated iPhone 8 with a similar design? Will they phase out the iphone 8 and just have 2 versions of the iphone x? This will all be guessing but would love to hear everyone's opinion.

Imo I can see apple not updating the iphone 8 and have two versions of the iphone x.

2. Soulful macrumors newbie

I agree

I also think they might have perfected Touch ID under the display and will have both sets of authentication for the device making it really secure....

3. Blaze4G thread starter macrumors 65816

I was thinking the same too. Most people here seems to think touch id won't be back. However, if the rumors are true that apple was working on this but was not able to finish it in time then I don't see Apple just throwing away all that money and time spent doing the research.

4. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

In 2005, Apple spent a whole bunch of time and money on trying to integrate the iPod Click Wheel into the iPhone. It's crazy to expect just because Apple tried hard to do something, they will succeed and bring it to market.

Smart executives know when to abandon projects and redirect resources on more important things (Face ID).

In-display Touch ID is being abandoned. Otherwise, Tim Cook wouldn't have spent 15 minutes criticizing fingerprint recognition and bringing out stats like 50,000:1 vs. 1,000,000:1 false positives.

5. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Drop the numbers all together. Maybe just iPhone and iPhone Plus if they can get the feature set from the X mass produced and cheaper.

6. leesweet macrumors 65816

leesweet

This is perhaps more like it. Or go to 11. :D

The X's features may be the new only phone (since does it need a Plus when the screen is a Plus size in a 'normal' case). 9 has been skipped, and we go to 11 and have the one true phone.

Who knows after this year!

7. Blaze4G thread starter macrumors 65816

I understand where you're coming from. However, I can also see Tim in next years event saying how the embedded fingerprint scanner in the screen has allowed them to increase security and false positives are now 10,000,000:1.

8. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

going to be all OLED

5.8 inch and a 6.4 inch OLED is what i expect.

iphone x2 and X2 plus

9. leesweet macrumors 65816

leesweet

I hear you, but who knows when they had to lock the X. They could be 40% of the way to the 11 now with the next gen face recog....

10. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

A lot of people suggest dropping numbers. But does it make sense for Apple?

Apple uses clear numbering to identify old and new phones. Unlike iPad or MacBook, Apple comes out with new models each year like clockwork. It encourages customers to upgrade every year.

11. gadget123 macrumors 68020

No cheap model?

12. Blaze4G thread starter macrumors 65816

I agree. I can't see them recycling the old design of the iphone 8. However many said that for the iphone 7 and look what happened lol.

13. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Can't see it. The old design is gone next year imo

14. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

So... customers will go back to Touch ID? And Apple will encourage it?

Face ID and Touch ID can't both be 1,000,000:1. One of them is better than the other. Apple has sent a clear message on which one is better.

In this hypothetical situation, Apple completely eliminates the selling point of the complex camera system they are marketing September 2017 - August 2018.

I just don't see it happening.

15. gadget123 macrumors 68020

But that would mean the cheapest flagship model would be £1000 and a £300 price rise.

16. Blaze4G thread starter macrumors 65816

True. Hard to see them dropping face id either in a short period of time after all they invested. I would say it all depends on customers feedback for face id. However Apple doesn't seen to be the type of company to listen to customers (not saying that to talk bad about apple).

17. jeyf macrumors 65816

next year I will buy an used iPhone 10 on craigsList and be happy.

18. Blaze4G thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't see why touch id can't be improved to increase security. After all, no one has the same finger print. So it should be able to improve immensely.

I do see what you're saying though. You may be right too. Hard to see them dropping face ID anytime soon or at all.

19. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I think Apple would sell iPhones regardless, but I see your point. Just seems like they will have to. iPhone 16 just sounds weird. I think X is the last and then they do something different.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    I don't think they would recycle the same design. I am sure the move is to get as much money this year and then drop the price on an X-like phone next year.

20. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Unless Face ID completely fails, there's no way Apple is bringing back in-display Touch ID.

It's like Intel doing their right hand turn in 2006. They previously convinced everyone more GHz was better. Then had to convince everyone performance per watt was best. It was a very painful transition.

21. leesweet macrumors 65816

leesweet

Like any other new tech: If you asked people what they wanted, they would have said, a faster horse. (Henry Ford, perhaps apocryphal!)

22. BigAppleNYC123 macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

I am betting on
    - Iphone 9 (the last hoorah of iPhone 6)
    -Iphone XI
    -Iphone X price drop and

Y’all can call me crazy for predicting an iPhone 9. But if you think Apple won’t update the iPhone 6 for the umpteenth time, you wrong.

23. gadget123 macrumors 68020

Another prediction:

iPhone 8 32gb like what they done with the gloss back 7 in 2017.

24. Rob_2811 macrumors 68000

Nah. Not unless the cost of the iPhone X drops by a lot. When I say a lot I mean £200/$200 at the very least.

I'm a software developer and have a keen interest in technology if I'm baulking at the cost of the X model the average person is going to run a mile. They will have to keep some cheaper models around or their sales numbers will sink like a stone.

The number of models they are still selling would make Samsung proud. They've got plenty of room to drop a few.

If I had to guess the 6s/6s Plus will go, probably the 7 and 7 Plus too. SE gets a spec bump and occupies the low end (as low end as Apple ever gets!) with the iPhone 8 and 8plus taking the price point of the 7/7 plus with a slightly spec bumped (to include a Touch ID sensor?) iPhone X and maybe a bigger 6 inch plus device that has been rumoured at the high end.