Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethernaught

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

With the release of 10.7 (lion) in the near future and the server functionality built in what will happen to the Mac Mini Server. Will there be two different Mac Minis? Will the price for the "higher end" then be less?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Consider that nobody knows if the Server features will be free or if they need to be purchased. At this point, all we know is that Server has been consolidated into Lion.

So, it's quite possible that Apple could sell activation keys or add-ons that enable portions of what used to be the Server product. If true, then Apple could sell the device with the add-ons included.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
i dont need server

I decided to buy mini server cause i thought it was a better deal than regular mini. I don't need the server part. So when lion comes out it will install on my mini server just like the regular mini, without server apps?

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
I decided to buy mini server cause i thought it was a better deal than regular mini. I don't need the server part. So when lion comes out it will install on my mini server just like the regular mini, without server apps?

Yes. You can do that now with Snow Leopard client provided you have new enough install discs. I think you need 10.6.3.

voigtstr

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
I've got the 2010 mac mini server as well. Its currently serving up blogs, and handling some mail accounts. Is there a migration path to Lion Server that will preserve my current server settings, or should I just leave the server as Snow Leopard for the time being?

qCzar

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
SFBA, CA
I'd wait.

Best option at the moment. Set up a time machine back up before you install Lion, then if-need be call back all the files while ignoring what made Snow Leopard, Snow Leopard. Really all you'd end-up transferring over is your Library directory, Applications, and the generic folders like Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Movies, etc. I imagine.

I'd also hope one could install Lion on top of SL - without the need of a clean install. I haven't looked into it much as I won't be upgrading my MacBook to Lion, but rather buying an Updated Mini after Lions release.

TheAnalogue

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
Clearwater, Fl
I'd also hope one could install Lion on top of SL - without the need of a clean install. I haven't looked into it much as I won't be upgrading my MacBook to Lion, but rather buying an Updated Mini after Lions release.

That's the only way to instal Lion, download from the Mac App store, then instal on top of SL. That is unless you buy a new machine after Loin Comes out. :cool:

voigtstr

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
That's the only way to instal Lion, download from the Mac App store, then instal on top of SL. That is unless you buy a new machine after Loin Comes out. :cool:

I haven't seen mention yet of installing lion server over the top of snow leopard server, only lion over snow leoplard, then lion server over lion.

I already have my mac min server backing up to an external disk using time machine, but, the manual makes it clear its not backing up everything...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.