What will happen when you install Snow Leopard and then plug in your Time Machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrkgoo, Feb 12, 2009.

1. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

What do you think will happen? There's no doubt they have sorted something out, but will it just back up your new system allowing you to go back in time to Leopard? If so, this sounds dangerous if you start messing with incompatible versions of files. Will they just force you to start fresh?

2. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

I am guessing they will either force you to start fresh, or just add new backups, and inform you that the versions are incompatible when you are trying to restore anything that is a system resource. So, you could maybe restore documents and pictures and such, but if you were to try to restore, say, a Folder in your Library, it would pop up and say something to the extent of:

"The file you are attempting to restore is from a previous version of Mac OS X, and is incompatible with your current build"

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Boy I sure hope that is the case either way! If not, the mods might as well open an additional forum category for "10.6/Time Machine Problems" right now! ;)

4. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

What happened when you upgraded from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6? It shouldn't be any different when going from 10.5.6 to 10.6.

It will back up what is different. If you want to do a complete restore, it will do what it does now and offer you a list of complete restores by date.

There is no reason why an upgrade should cause any issues at all different that what we have today.

S-

5. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Ya, well, it is the only logical way I see it happening. I have had a problem before while installing Leopard that left my MB dead in the water, and Time Machine ended up saving me. That is why I say that Snow Leopard deleting or forcing you to start new in Time Machine would be BAAAAAAAD, because, lets say you are installing SL, and you didn't check the disk for errors first, then, KABOOM! No SL, no Leopard backup... Or your HDD just so happens to crash before you can backup under SL? Bad day, my friend :)

Getting rid of backups any time near an installation process is not something I would want to do :D

6. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

You misunderstand the problem. 10.5.5 to -> 10.5.6 is a completely different animal than 10.5 -> 10.6

You could not just restore certain elements of, say, Leopard, that Snow Leopard would have overwritten with its new, squeaky clean, elements. That is the issue we are discussing.
    Also, I have a feeling that Snow Leopard will do a complete backup when it first runs Time Machine, not just "what is different". In tHeory the difference would work, but again, when the emphasis is on making things flow perfectly, having mix-and-match files is no good....

7. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

No, I don't misunderstand the problem. Explain how going from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 is completely different than going from 10.5.6 to 10.6.

The issues are the same...just on a different scale.

S-

8. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Yes, they certainly are on a different scale. As I said before, I don't see SL just doing the incremental backup and going on as if everything is just dandy. There are going to be MASSIVE re-writes of some of the system files and such, so just looking for what is different is kind of silly. Everything is. As I have said before, I see them allowing the old backups to stay as a safeguard, and only allowing you "restore" access to Documents and other user-created files...

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

One is a minor upgrade the other is a major upgrade. Upgrading to Snow Leopard and Apple completely working over the whole underpinnings of the OS creates many different and additional ways for things to go wrong. The same holds true when performing a major upgrade on any OS.

10. mrkgoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Interesting.

Ok, so what happens now, if I try to go into a system file and restore an older version of a file that may be incompatible with 10.5.6? For example, let's say I restore an old version of Disk Utility from 10.5.0.

Last time I checked (mind you this is just from a quick look), Time Machine did not allow me to go into some system folders.

11. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

In what different and additional ways can things go wrong? Agreed, there are probably three orders of magnitude more files that will change (or at least two orders), but is the upgrade procedure for major revisions somehow essentially different than for minor revisions? Aren't you still just removing one set of files and adding another set?

12. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I understand that. But my point does not change. If you understand how Time Machine does its backups, you will understand where I am coming from.

Time Machine looks at the differences from the last backup and backs up accordingly. It doesn't and shouldn't care how major or minor the differences are...just that they are different.

Maybe you don't have a lot of experience with backup programs. But I would very disappointed if Time Machine trashed all my old backups just because there was a new release of the OS. Because that is not how backup programs are supposed to work. What if I want to go back to a point in time before the upgrade?

S-