Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvanEiga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2015
So last year I renewed my grandfathered unlimited data contract with ATT for another 2 years, and since ATT no longer extend those contracts, does that mean I won't have unlimited data next year?

What will happen to my acc. and number? I currently use 16-20 gig of data per month, I guess I will have to switch to Tmobile unless I pay an ATT premium to buy a high tier data plan or something.

Anyone with their unlimited plan expired recently? What did you do?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
So last year I renewed my grandfathered unlimited data contract with ATT for another 2 years, and since ATT no longer extend those contracts, does that mean I won't have unlimited data next year?

What will happen to my acc. and number? I currently use 16-20 gig of data per month, I guess I will have to switch to Tmobile unless I pay an ATT premium to buy a high tier data plan or something.

Anyone with their unlimited plan expired recently? What did you do?

It doesn't 'expire'. As long as you don't cancel your service or change from unlimited you get to keep it (as long as AT&T doesn't force grandfathered people off of it).

I haven't been part of a 2 year contract in several years now. Still have my unlimited and I'm never giving it up. AT&T is going to have to take it from me.

born2runak

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
It doesn't 'expire'. As long as you don't cancel your service or change from unlimited you get to keep it (as long as AT&T doesn't force grandfathered people off of it).

I haven't been part of a 2 year contract in several years now. Still have my unlimited and I'm never giving it up. AT&T is going to have to take it from me.
my sentiments exactly. ART will be waiting a long time for me to let go

Cowboy1629

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Indiana
What I was told, I could keep my plan and pay the same monthly amount I'm currently paying but I would no longer be getting a subsidized phone every 2 years! Since there are 4 lines on this account with different data plans it was actually cheaper for us to move over to the unlimited plan since we already had DirecTV.

The way I understand it no matter what plan you are on you will be paying for your phone now. So we could have kept our old grandfathered family talk plan and my grandfathered unlimited data plan on one of the lines but there would be no more subsidized phones and no reduction in our monthly bill so we switched.

Would have considered other providers but in our rural area AT&T is the only company with coverage and reliable service.

EvanEiga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2015

Oh, that sucks but for unlimited data it's stll cheaper than family share for me. Cool thanks. Somehow I was under the impression that ATT would just terminate your contract after that 2 years since they no longer offer to renew it. (but if I just keep my contract, it is basically renewing it without actually renewing it, no?)

What I was told, I could keep my plan and pay the same monthly amount I'm currently paying but I would no longer be getting a subsidized phone every 2 years! Since there are 4 lines on this account with different data plans it was actually cheaper for us to move over to the unlimited plan since we already had DirecTV.

The way I understand it no matter what plan you are on you will be paying for your phone now. So we could have kept our old grandfathered family talk plan and my grandfathered unlimited data plan on one of the lines but there would be no more subsidized phones and no reduction in our monthly bill so we switched.

Would have considered other providers but in our rural area AT&T is the only company with coverage and reliable service.

basically $400 extra a year.... but I guess it's still better going tmobile and being forced to stream at 480P (and its mediocre service_

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
From what I've read, my grandfathered unlimited data plan I've had since 2007 has $20 a month built into it for phone subsidies that are no longer available, but we still pay the $20 a month per line. That's $480 per two year contract (or however long you keep going month to month). I'm seriously considering giving up the unlimited plan and going with a 6 gig plan as it saves me at least $50.00 a month. That is a huge savings for me. I really haven't used more than 5GB's in a month ever. Makes sense as much as I fought to keep it. I think AT&T wants me to keep it now as they make an extra $20.00 per month just in the subsidy fee they still have the nerve to charge. Unreal what these carriers (and ISP's) get away with in bs fees and charges. Still charging a subsidy fee after stopping all subsidy deals...Criminal really.

Last edited:

EvanEiga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2015
From what I've read, my grandfathered unlimited data plan I've had since 2007 has $20 a month built into it for phone subsidies that are no longer available, but we still pay the $20 a month per line. That $480 per two year contract (or however long you keep going month to month). I'm seriously considering giving up the unlimited plan and going with a 6 gig plan as it saves me at least $50.00 a month. That is a huge savings for me. I really haven't used more than 5GB's in a month ever. Makes sense as much as I fought to keep it. I think AT&T wants me to keep it now as they make an extra $20.00 per month just in the subsidy fee they still have the nerve to charge. Unreal what these carriers (and ISP's) get away with in bs fees and charges. Still charging a subsidy fee after stopping all subsidy deals...Criminal really.
You're completely right. However, I use more than 15, sometimes 20 gigs of data per month. Switching to those family plan will just cost me more. So it's either keeping this plan with att or switching to T-Mobile for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.