Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
A refurb old Macbook Pro 8600m gt
or a refurn aluminum macbook 2.4ghz
-Both are the same price right now!

Which one would be worth more when USB 3.0 and Firewire 3200 comes out next year

Thanks

desiringGod

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008

Which one would be worth more when USB 3.0 and Firewire 3200 comes out next year

Thanks

Probably the Pro, but it shouldn't matter. Go with the one that best fits you. If you need the bigger screen and firewire, go with the pro.

If you want portability and a "newer" computer model go with the MB 2.4

If there is a MBP for $1299 it won't last long or come around often. The 2.4 MB is always around.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
it's a hard choice really.

the macbook seems to be long lasting and without the possible faulty graphic card unlike the 8600GT. one thing is the screen seems really washed out and bad even compared to the old model of macbook pro.

in the other hand, the macbook pro has larger resolution thus giving more space to work, but the possible faulty graphic card is worrying even though apple is acknowledging the problem and continue to support a replacement warranty if its dead.

if i were u, i'd spend a bit more money and get the refurbished unibody macbook pro.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009

Thanks

i say pro cuz devices with firewire 3200 might still work with it.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
The pro has already lost a good portion of its original value so it would most likely hold its current value better. Although make sure to sell it before the Applecare expires if you are going to sell it next year.

Illicit

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Waterloo, ON
i'd say the pro. but only if its covered by the extended warranty so if the video card conks out you could still get it replaced for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.