What will I be missing if I don't upgrade to iPhone 4.2?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by braddick, Nov 12, 2010.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

for reasons unnecessary for this thread, it was a bit of a hassle for me to upgrade recently from 4.0 to 4.1.

I'm happy with the way my iphone is running right now and have the perfect set of Cydia apps (having forgone Winterboard this time around).

Now, with the 4.2 update hitting us any day now, really what would I be missing out if I simply just left well enough alone and didn't, for once in my iphone life, update?

2. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

How are you upgrading? Are you not downloading the OS from Apple through iTunes and then Jailbreaking that?

Anyway, you'll miss Airplay, Airprint, search in Safari, facetime activation from in SMS, update to YouTube app, parental controls, midi support, individual volume controls for ringtones, new message tones...

3. reyno28 macrumors member

reyno28

You wouldn't be missing much. 4.2 is not a big update for the iphone. It is a huge update for the ipads though. You would only be missing airplay and airprint or w/e they call it.

What drag'nGT said lol

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

To each there own time will tell if it's worth the hassle to upgrade. wait at least a couple weeks anyway. JB should never be the 1st to update. many jb apps won't support 4.2 a while after it's release any way.

you will see all kinds of claims after it's release.

better battery life
    better signal
    louder
    faster
    better looking
    some will even say better sex life because of 4.2

5. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Thank you, I appreciate the responses. My iPhone is like the "Three Bears" where the porridge isn't too hot and isn't too cold. It's just right.

Why fix what isn't broken?

Everything is running so smoothly right now I hate to jinks that with a future update.

6. HPLouis macrumors regular

What usually forces me to upgrade is that I'll eventually run into that one app that I want to purchase that will not work unless the latest version of firmware is installed.

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

This is why I'm still running 4.0. :D

But AirPlay will probably be too tempting for me not to upgrade once there's an untethered JB for 4.2 and my apps are updated. That'll still be a while yet.

8. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I was about the say the exact same thing. I'm still running 4.0 on my 3GS because it just works...no bugs, no headaches, nothing. And since I'm still using a 3GS, some of the updates don't really help me that much anyway (things that pertain to iP4).

If you're happy with how your phone is set up and running on 4.1, I see no need to change it just for the sake of changing it. :D

9. whatdoikn0w macrumors newbie

It would have to be some pretty good changes to get me to upgrade from 4.0.1 and my jailbreakme.com jb. Hell, i'm still running iTunes 9.2.1.5. I see no reason to go messing with something that works fine unless it is for something pretty sweet.

10. derek420 macrumors member

Haha!

11. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Forgot that Safari will feel snappier.

12. yentrog31 macrumors regular

yentrog31

Ditto..I stayed @3.1.2 for a long time cause I too had my phone just like I wanted it.But after a while all the apps will pass you by and so I upgraded to 4.1 and JB and set it all back up.Low and behold airplay is out and it is fantastic to stream everything on my mac/windows lib to my aTV . So I will be upgrading to 4.2 for that alone.

13. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

LOL... better sex life?!

14. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

I'm getting a lot of upgrade notices for current apps that are now more "functional with 4.2." Should one bother while still using 4.1? Is this part of the trap to make your phone "buggy" and force you to upgrade to 4.2? Personally I don't believe Apple when they say they would never try to force users to upgrade... My old 3g simply stopped working properly and crashed regularly after updating apps while on and older firmware and j/b.

15. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

Lmao!!...Nice....Lmao

16. TJone macrumors 6502a

Apple seems like they are updating some apps that you can only update if you are using the latest firmware like iMovie. I bet there is another iMovie update coming that can only be installed on 4.2. I was also happy with 4.01 and though my iPhone was running perfectly on it until upgraded to 4.1 and it is running even better now with improved battery life. I will definitely upgrade to 4.2 once JB tools are out and any bugs are sorted out. I am always surprised how quick and easy it is to upgrade and re-jailbreak since the devs make great tools for everyone.

17. currentcomics1 macrumors newbie

I am confused as to why o update with "AIrPlay" for the Atv. It seems as though it already has airplay as all of my movies and music plays form the atv 2nd gen with my MBP. Am I misunderstanding what "AirPlay" is. I am running 4.1 on my JB IP4 with the current itunes.

18. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Where can I get it ?

19. labman macrumors 604

labman

I didn't say they will get actually get a better sex life just that some will claim it. ;) big difference

oh and Krafty good catch

snappier safari

20. the diego macrumors newbie

I ran 3.1.2/blackra1n on my 3GS all the way up until the time I sold it around the 1st of June. I'll probably stick with 4.0.1/jailbreakme.com on my i4 for a while longer.

21. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Better sex life really I missed that in Steve's address and although that would be good, if that were to happen I wouldn't get much sleep...LOL

22. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Finally! Individual volume alert tones.

Nothing more annoying than playing a game or something on my phone and turning down the volume and forgetting to turn it up again, then what happens is, I can't hear the flaming alarm when it goes off in the morning!

YouTube update sounds promising too, especially if they fix the playback quality.