Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

photonyd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
I'm currently running dual monitors, both CRTs, on separate cards in my G4 tower. I just ordered a new G5, I think the new 256 MB video card will run both my monitors, will I need 1 or two adapters? Also, bought a second internal drive. Can it piggyback with the OEM drive's cable, or will I need another SATA cable for it?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Your new G5 with come with both DVI and ADC. They supply you with a DVI->VGA adapter, you will need to buy a ADC->VGA to use both your CRT displays. I think they are around $30.

photonyd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
Thanks, WW. How about the second drive, will I need a separate cable for that or is it already set up for a master/slave setup?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
photonyd said:
Thanks, WW. How about the second drive, will I need a separate cable for that or is it already set up for a master/slave setup?

I don't know for sure, but I'd be shocked it the cable wasn't ready for installing a second HD. Any desktop Mac I've ever had always had all the cable necessary for any internal component upgrades.

Edit: link, yep, it comes with all the cable you need.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
photonyd said:
The drives are SATA; there is no "Master Slave" relationship - each drive has a single SATA cable to the motherboard. The Mac comes with the cables and the mounting hardware (little hemispherical rubbery screws that screw into the drive mounting screwholes. They are stored screwed into the chassis of the machine near the hard drive bay)

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.