What Will It Be Like At Best Buy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jun 19, 2010.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

After missing the online preorder and being told my local Apple Store would not be taking reservations, I managed to reserve a 32GB iPhone 4 at BestBuy. I'm not confident that they'll have it in-stock for me since the guy said they'll call me when they get it in. What's it like at Best Buy? How does activation go? At the Apple Store, they used a MacBook to activate my iPhone 3G, so I'm curious about whether they do the same at BestBuy. Do they just take off the protective plastic off of the iPhone 4? I always liked to do this myself for whatever reason just because it's new.

2. JustinP81 macrumors 6502

No one really knows, seeing as this is the first time Best Buy has had the phone at launch.

As far as stock goes, I've been preaching "wait and see". They won't have any idea until Monday or Tuesday, I'd imagine. They won't receive their phones until Wednesday night at the earliest, or Thursday morning at the latest.

When they'll open up, check your local BB ad in the paper tomorrow, and then call your local store to double check. Could be at 7 am in select or all locations, or could be normal times.

Activation, well, depends on how much of a cluster f#$& Thursday morning goes. They might send you home to do it on your own computer. I've purchased phones at Best Buy before, and it's always been a smooth process. They're trained professionals, so you shouldn't worry.

3. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Basically the same insanity as at other stores that will be carrying the iPhone 4, but maybe more so. :rolleyes:

4. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Purely out of curiousity, can you only activate an iPhone through iTunes, or will they use the same systems that they activate other At&T phones on? They've been carrying iPhones for a while now.

5. 46Chromeboy macrumors newbie

I think the process itself may depend on store size and how many phones it receives. I mean I live in NYC and I can easily see my store getting 100+phones. I don't know how they can accommodate all those customers with activation in store. Where maybe a store that only gets 10-20 will be able to activate in store more easily.I guess maybe that's why they will call ahead for an appointment time. They already said not to just "show up". I cringe just to think how long each activation will take after they try to sell you accessories and insurance, combined with the fact that 600,000 other people will be trying to activate at around the same time:eek: Pure speculation on my part, but I almost guarantee that I will reach some level of frustration/anger on the 24th dealing with BB. But it is what it is at this point. Good Luck to all:)

6. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

7. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

it will be very simple they will call you and schedule an appointment time so that when you get there you know that someone will be ready to help you and you should be out of there in about 15 minutes or so depending on how slow the activation process is going.

8. Gagoots macrumors regular

9. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I am not exactly sure of Best Buy's activation process, but I know it won't be chaotic. They're supposed to set up appointments for everyone. ;)

10. Gagoots macrumors regular

My Best Buy said they aren't calling until the 24th, and depending on who is ahead of me, the appointment might be pushed back to the 25th. I'm #32 so if they can't get 31 orders together in a day...

All ONE of them?

11. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Hahahahaha! Get over it man. ;) You really want to go over all of this again?

12. Amacfa macrumors 65816

Amacfa

It's not the first iPhone launch...

13. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

If BB is calling people to come in for their reservation, why are people talking about getting there hours before they open and waiting? No one knows yet how many they are getting in.

14. JustinP81 macrumors 6502

SORRY. MY BAD.

I didn't do my homework.

15. thornguy macrumors regular

Chaos with a touch of extended warranty and "let our geek squad tune up your phone for you"

16. BulletToothTony macrumors 6502

BulletToothTony

this is the very reason why i didn't preorder.. i didn't want to be at the mercy of other companies.. yes some of you have gotten a pre-order for sure but look at all the cancellations or doubts from most pre-orders

i'm just going the night b4 and camp all night with my gf and best friend, have some beers and not worry about fed-ex or apple or inventory.. i'll be in the first 5 people and i'm sure they have more than 10 phones.. or will they AAAAAHHHHH!!! :eek:

17. MKang25 macrumors regular

Best Buy was actually hassle free. I did the preorder for the 3GS at best buy. Day before launch i got a phone call for a appointment time. I set mines to opening time at 10. I got there at 10 waited 5 minutes then got my iPhone activated using their computers in about 2 minutes, signed paperwork, paid for the phone and was out about 15 minutes later. Took me about 20 minutes total to get my 3GS up and running in place of my iPhone.

18. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

More than likely, no one who hasn't preordered is going to be able to get an iPhone on the 24th at Best Buy. So there shouldn't be any "chaos". And they are supposed to set up appointments based on 1) the order you are in the preorder queue, and 2) the number of iPhones they get in stock.

My only concern is whether the upgrade eligibility check will work. They have to check with AT&T in order to sell you the phone at the upgrade price. And if that system goes down (again) on the 24th, I'm not sure what they will do? Can they call the nearby AT&T store and check with them, or can I show them my text message that says I'm eligible. Or will they turn me away until the system is back up? Hopefully, this won't happen, but it is a concern.

Other than that, the only OTHER concern is whether Best Buy gets any stock at all! We all assume they will get stock to sell on the 24th, but nobody really knows until Best Buy receives their shipment notifications (which won't be until later this week).

19. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

What is this, run away to fight another day?

20. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Activations(for most) will be the biggest problem