What will it take for Apple to stop trying to prevent jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Hannah Montana, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Hannah Montana macrumors newbie

All of their jailbreaking prevention methods have failed, and users WANT to jailbreak. What's the harm in letting us have folders in folders or more than 12 apps in a folder, themes, tweaks that allow fast access to turning BT/Wifi on and off quickly, etc.? How does this hurt them in any way? Will they think we'll think of Apple as quitters and pushovers if they allow jailbreaking?

NO.

I will be forever grateful. It's MY iPad and MY iPhone and I wish to install themes and tweaks as I please. I bought it for the things it has the potential to do. This is an incredible waste of such good hardware/software. Give me a ****ING REASON, APPLE. I want to know why you won't let me use MY DEVICE in a manner in which I prefer.

2. FireSokar macrumors regular

The bottom line is that if an third party app has so much control over the device, it can cause problems. I have had a JB phone only crash after installing an cydia app one time. I resolved it, but for most customers they will head to the apple store and complain there phone sucks. Also as an developer who jailbreaks his device I know it is very easy to pirate apps on the iOS system. As long as there is piracy I do not see Apple allowing it. Granted not everyone uses pirated apps, as long as it can happen an developer will complain to apple and they may loose some.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah blah.

You bought the device and knew its limitations. Get over it.

4. Hannah Montana thread starter macrumors newbie

You'd be a good troll if you were smart.

5. Scuby macrumors regular

Because all of the jailbreaks are achieved because of bugs and security vulnerabilities. I'd be very upset if Apple *didn't* fix vulnerabilities once they are brought to their attention, which often happens to be via the jailbreakers.

If you bought a device because of a feature you think could maybe be feasible for someone one day to create for that device, then that's hardly Apple's fault - if it doesn't do what you want, buy something else!

As it happens, my iPod Touch is jailbroken (on iOS 4.1) because of two essential (for me) tweaks (prevents the iPod app locking its controls when it's connected to my car kit, and also to enable Bluetooth GPS) - I only bought it because I knew that the then-current version of iOS could be jailbroken, and accepted that I may not be able to upgrade the OS. My iPad, however, has never been jailbroken, and have no desire to do so - and again, I bought it knowing what it could and couldn't do.

David

6. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Why are you even in the iPad Hacks section? Shouldn't you be loitering outside an apple store or something?

7. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Please continue the petty bickering. I'm enjoying this immensely.

8. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Who let the Android into the iOS discussion?

Ba-dum-psh

(okay, so it's not a direct quote, close enough.)

9. Xeperu macrumors 6502

Around iOS 6 Steve will get bananas and will implement a routine that calls home on jailbreak. He will then send a pirate ninja to your gps location to slice you in two.

<Schhhhhhling>

Although this will probably be prevented by a muscled nerd showing up to stop said pirate ninja.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

LOL

[​IMG]

Apple is not "working" on preventing anything, like any software company all they do is test and fix bug on their software as they find them. Just like the do on MacOS, or MS does on Windows, and google does on Android, etc, etc.

and just for the records, the device is yours, but the iOS is a Licensed software that you agreed to no modify if you want to use it. you got no ownership whatsoever over iOS. You are free to develop and install any other software on YOUR DEVICe (good luck with that)

11. Jikul macrumors newbie

One word: piracy.

Apple will always fight jailbreaking to the death because it allows users to install apps without paying for them. So, even if jailbreak provides some awesome things that Apple could care less about, or could actually take advantage off by inserting those things in future versions of iOS (has had happened), they will never allow such thing because, ultimately, it's bad for their business and, obviously, to developers.

12. gigaguy, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011

gigaguy macrumors 65816

Since Apple buys off companies it wants expertise from, or to stop competition etc, why don't they hire or buy off the hackers? If it is so costly to them to have jailbreaks, surely a few hundred thou to buy a few hackers for a certain time period, no work, or other terms is doable for $apple$. I think apple learns what features people want from the jb programs, bring out their own versions of multitasking, folders, mirroring etc etc.
    not saying that money is the hackers motive at all, just surprised apple doesn't attempt. I guess it would be bad PR.
    I don't think Apple cares as much as people say, and they get a lot of publicity out of it...yet I read that, what, 10-15 mil people have used jailbreaks, that's a lot. hmm.

13. Tunster macrumors 6502

Apple will tell you no because...

a) Security (integrity of phone calls/text messages/communication etc - you'd be very quick to complain if some hacker monitored your JBed device or more so on a non-JB device)

b) Piracy (Apple are there to make money from you and they have a huge user base/developer pool to keep happy)

c) It isn't your god given right (I'm sure you'd be pretty annoyed if you spent years developing software and keep seeing hackers rip to shreds - iOS isn't freeware/open source, simple)

I'm not saying it's wrong, but Apple would be playing risky tactics if they allowed it and put risk on their customers also. Apple has it's reasons to lock things down.

Not surprised with all this expectation from JB developers has slowed down their progress. I'd be pretty annoyed if people were asking me every 5 minutes when the next JB is coming. Reverse engineering is a whole different ball game to fresh engineering from the bottom up. A concept a lot of people don't understand and has allowed Apple to catch-up with the recent slowdown in JB progress.

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Apple might as well put an end to Piracy while they are at it

15. BeauGiles macrumors member

This, but add carriers into the mix too. Things like the tethering charge and so on, are easily bypassed by jail breaking and tweaking things. Apple cares more about carriers and developers than their users.

16. musicmax macrumors member

>> What will it take for Apple to stop trying to prevent jailbreaking?

A new CEO. The closed ecosystem is simply Jobs's ego saying "I'm always the smartest guy in the room".

Eventually somebody at Apple will wise up to the fact that Android's open app marketplace is one of the reasons it's leading the market share race. But that someone will never be Jobs.

17. Cha macrumors regular

Also, people may not realize how often theming and other UI tweaks can lead to an unstable environment. Apple wants a controlled environment where they can give the audience a perception of stability. The "tweaks" and such may be more headaches than the benefits it brings the company in the long run. I am not sure if you remember products like WindowBlinds where initially it was cool, but the amount of crashing was not worth skinning my windows environment.

In regards to the items in a folder... I would love to have more than 12 items and sub folders, but I think you do not realize how most people consume data. Please generally do not like to scroll. That's one reason why Google limits the amount of search results shown on each page. Users rarely go pass the first page of any amount of data presented. When you develop, unfortunately you have to target the masses and not the niche sectors.

18. josun macrumors member

Frankly, I don't even know if they care. The only reason they're fixing the exploits is because of security reasons and to "comfort" the investors. Not necessarily because they want to stop jailbreaks. It's just my opinion.

19. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

^^^ i agree with that. It's all about the Benjamins!!

20. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

How lame this thread is. Smilarly, poorly written.