Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guyducati

macrumors regular
Original poster
I just bought a new domain for a personal website, and I would like to re-make a website (currently I just moved my site from other domain), but I'm wondering, should I just wait until iWeb 2011 comes out to remake it? How does that work? Will all of my sites still be compatible?

Thanks

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
May as well wait, as it will only be a week and a few days (if the rumor is correct). As long as it's for a personal website, the updated iWeb should meet your needs.

If you ever are looking for something more professional, check out RapidWeaver. I use it for my website (non-personal), and love it. I wouldn't go back to iWeb tho. But if iWeb works for you, stick with it, as it's free and way easier to use. I'm sure the next version of iWeb will come with more advanced features, making it a possible choice for business owners.

A better idea would be to not deal with iWeb and its myriad of problems at all and construct your site yourself or basing it off of an open template. That way you're pretty much guaranteeing yourself compatibility.

Agreed. The only browser that could understand my iWeb website was Firefox. Even Safari couldn't display it properly. This was a year ago, though. I've since then ditched iWeb.

guyducati

macrumors regular
Original poster
A better idea would be to not deal with iWeb and its myriad of problems at all and construct your site yourself or basing it off of an open template. That way you're pretty much guaranteeing yourself compatibility.

Well I don't know how to do coding, or anything like that. iWeb works fine for what I need it for. I make all of my own templates in Photoshop, and just plop them into iWeb. It looks great on any platform/browser.

May as well wait, as it will only be a week and a few days (if the rumor is correct). As long as it's for a personal website, the updated iWeb should meet your needs.

If you ever are looking for something more professional, check out RapidWeaver. I use it for my website (non-personal), and love it. I wouldn't go back to iWeb tho. But if iWeb works for you, stick with it, as it's free and way easier to use. I'm sure the next version of iWeb will come with more advanced features, making it a possible choice for business owners.

Agreed. The only browser that could understand my iWeb website was Firefox. Even Safari couldn't display it properly. This was a year ago, though. I've since then ditched iWeb.

Actually, I bought RapidWeaver, and I hated it. I ended up switching back to iWeb.

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Actually, I bought RapidWeaver, and I hated it. I ended up switching back to iWeb.

May I ask why? I know when I first switched, I found RapidWeaver difficult to use, until I learnt some HTML, and got used to the way the application works. I'm still no expert when it comes to making a website, but I do like how RapidWeaver has helped me. However, I do miss a few things from iWeb though (like the ability to drag and drop everything where you want it).

guyducati

macrumors regular
Original poster
May I ask why? I know when I first switched, I found RapidWeaver difficult to use, until I learnt some HTML, and got used to the way the application works. I'm still no expert when it comes to making a website, but I do like how RapidWeaver has helped me. However, I do miss a few things from iWeb though (like the ability to drag and drop everything where you want it).

I guess ultimately I was in the same boat as you, but instead of learning some HTML, I just switched back to iWeb. I'm creative, but impatient. I had ideas for my site, and it was just easier to do it in iWeb, haha.

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I guess ultimately I was in the same boat as you, but instead of learning some HTML, I just switched back to iWeb. I'm creative, but impatient. I had ideas for my site, and it was just easier to do it in iWeb, haha.

I definitely understand why you chose to go back to iWeb. My HTML knowledge is limited. I can make headers, centre text, and that's about it. Luckily, that's as much as I need to know, as I bought a nice website theme which took care of the rest (as I'm too impatient to design my own).

Regardless that I use RapidWeaver, I hope Apple updates iWeb to offer more for creating beautiful websites. It needs more features. It would be nice if you could download/buy 3rd party add-ons. At least iWeb allows you to add HTML snippets. I used a lot of those. I'm sure we'll see more themes included, which is always nice. I can see Apple emphasizing on HTML 5 with the next iWeb. Perhaps the ability to have a mobile version of the website? I don't really see that happening anytime soon, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.