what will mac os 10.9 be called, anyway?

bryantm3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
apple has only trademarked four more names, so what will 10.9 be?
i propose that it should be called Serval.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
bryantm3 said:
apple has only trademarked four more names, so what will 10.9 be?
i propose that it should be called Serval.
There probably won't be a OS 10.9. More likely they come up with a whole new O.S. with a new topic for the names that tie the versions together.

poundsmack

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
there are only so many cat names you can have that have a cool sound ot them....after all no one would want to buy OSX ***** edition :p

gco212

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
I sort of feel like OSX has now become a part of Apple's advertising and brand recognition. I don't think it's a good idea to ever move from OSX. It doesn't really matter if they do design a whole new OS, they should maintain the OSX name, and keep their marketing advantage.

bryantm3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
gco212 said:
I sort of feel like OSX has now become a part of Apple's advertising and brand recognition. I don't think it's a good idea to ever move from OSX. It doesn't really matter if they do design a whole new OS, they should maintain the OSX name, and keep their marketing advantage.
well that would be weird, cos os x (x means 10 anyway) so it's kind of weird to keep going at it.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
eventually apple will move beyond the OS X and cat names, they are effective for now, they will come up with something equally fitting and grand though when the time comes, right now anything we can suggest really is lame in most instances because in the years between now and when they move away from OS X so many different things could happen

shidoshi

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2004
bryantm3 said:
well that would be weird, cos os x (x means 10 anyway) so it's kind of weird to keep going at it.
Yes, but a lot of people, like me for example, consider it to be "OS X" and not "OS Ten," no matter what Apple may say. So I'd have no problem at all with Mac OS X 11.

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
well how about OS XI. wow i'm so clever.

p.s. whenever i've said os x in conversation someone will make a sex joke.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
You'd think Lion, or maybe Lynx (but that still sounds a bit too much like Linux to me). But by that logic, Tiger may have waited until 10.7 or 8. Cheetah wouldn't have been 10.0 (except for irony's sake). So I'm sure they'll come out with something we haven't even thought about yet. Just as I'm sure that just because they have the names, it doesn't mean they'll use all of them. The could jump from .5 or .6 to something else entirely.

And poundsmack, even though you got censored, I have a feeling I know what that 5 letter word was supposed to be.

dhracer88

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2005
I'm thinking OSX: Calico...although it seems more like a mozilla kind of name (camino--calico :confused: ).

OS 11 sounds so cold and unfriendly...seems like when it comes out the world will be citified and ruled by robots......

Maedus

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
Indiana
Plymouthbreezer said:
I really don't think we'll see OS X version 10.9.x... If anything, 10.6 will be the last 10.x.x before OS 11.

OS X is not OS "X," but OS "Ten."
I see no reason that Apple would be abandoning the Mac OS X name until they abandon the kernel used in Mac OS X, which does not appear to be anytime soon since they have finally set in place a system that allows programmers to interface with the kernel more easily and to help ensure their programs are not broken as easily with future OS X versions.

Plus the "X" is a powerful marketing device that helps identify Mac OS X in order to create product recognition as well as creating a way to identify product compatibility. We had the square, blue smiley face for the previous Mac OSes. Also with the current labeling scheme, Apple can keep the Mac OS X name beyond 10.9.x. We could have a Mac OS X 10.11.x without any problems since the .x are not point releases like in the traditional software naming scheme.

The only way I see Apple dropping the Mac OS X naming scheme for their OS is if they have another revolutionary design that causes them to drop the Unix core for something else. And I can only see that happening if Apple acquires another significant OS to cannibalize for technologies.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I don't see Apple hanging onto "OS X" forever 'cause it is OS t-e-n. And I think the "Xbox" offically started the decline of the coolness of "X." ;) Anyway, even if Apple did find there was to much brand recognition wrapped up in "OS X" to drop it, moving to "OS XI" isn't exactly a major departure visually from "OS X". And I'm sure there are lots of nifty graphical things you can do w/ the letters "OS XI."

Lethal