what will make iphone os4 perfect for me, what about you?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dudeofblokes, May 7, 2010.

1. dudeofblokes macrumors regular

dudeofblokes

carrickfergus, northern ireland, united kingdom
    i have been with the iphone since the start an i love it, ive accepted the shortfalls and enjoyed seeing them added along the way but what would make the phone perfect for me? assuming that the gizmondo handset is nothing i want to give my wish list and would like to hear yours.

* the ability to switch of or delete all unwanted apps like the stocks etc
    * bluetooth file transfer im not talking about music or videos but photos and documents natively would be nice.
    * mounting in the finder, or even itunes for drag and drop
    * text messaging suggestions to work the logical way where you tap to change the word than tap to cancel
    * contact pics to show in sms like ichat
    * the ability to edit the colours in the sms speech bubbles.
    * ichat would be nice but better if it supported msn (full ichat should get this)
    * larger selection of sms ring tones and the ability to add more
    * lock screen info like time date, alarm, weather, amount of missed calls, amount of new emails and sms.

theres the obvious hardware improvements like camera and flash, better battery etc but what id love most is a small service light for notifications and im sure this will be better than the power used to constantly power up the screen to check for notifications.

his may already have been asked but im just really curious what others would like.

2. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

The only thing I want is to be able to sync wirelessly with iTunes. It would be nice to not have to plug in the cable and be able to sync via WI-FI at least from another room.

3. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

dudeofblokes

i forgot about that yes that would be perfect

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

That's my one and only right there. The one thing that will keep me from jailbreaking 4.0.

I shouldn't have to unlock my phone and open my calendar app to see upcoming events/appointments.

5. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

dudeofblokes

yeah just make the phone show as much info in as little time as possible, on click wireless/ eg on and off would be great

6. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

More info on the lock screen would be great!

Wireless syncing...oh yes...

And, looks like this is already coming but I'd love a higher res screen.

I just got a Nexus One to play around with Android and, it's nice, but I still love my iPhone. However, that Nexus One screen is beautiful! That's the only thing that I wish my current iPhone had right now.

7. Buddy J Pike macrumors newbie

Buddy J Pike

I'm a very simple man and i don't ask for much... one of the things I would like to see would be a weather widget similar to the calander. Unfortunately its not always sunny and 73 ;)

8. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

dudeofblokes

lmao that would certainly help i never thought about that with the weather app

9. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

I was just discussing this with a friend today. We both agreed that BB's and Android offer far more customization options and praised the iPhone for it's simplicity. We spend more time actually using the iPhone rather than trying to configure the phone like we would with BB/Android based phones. Having said that, the following changes would make me completely happy:

Lock screen changes: I don't care that I get a blue pop-up notification that somebody has sent me a text message or that I missed a call. Apple gave me the option to remove a preview of the text message, now give me the option to remove the sender's name and just display: "New Text Message" or "New Text Messages" ... Same thing with the person who called. Another thing that would be nice instead of the pop-up notifications would be mail icon, message icon and missed call icons.

Text Messages: add the option to display time stamp for each text sent and received.

Since we're getting folders, backgrounds and multitasking in OS4.0, the 2 above changes would allow me to have the perfect phone for me.

10. thespazz macrumors 6502a

More info on the lock screen and status bar. Also, the ability to text from any program.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm on the other side of the fence and found os4 to be underwhelming. In light of the competition apple has seemingly provided very little. I'm concerned that the new iPhone will follow suit, i.e., little to none updates

12. Buddy J Pike macrumors newbie

Buddy J Pike

I would like to see the native apps work together more fluently. ex. being able to create an appontment add an address and have it link to maps and then add contacts to the appointment.

also having the ability to geotag photos with locations and contacts would be cool too

13. elephunkman macrumors 65816

The use of folders to organize my apps is excellent.

14. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Jailbreak has been able to accomplished just about all of your list for a while now.

Apparently most people have similar preference as you.

15. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Unless if we are running 3.1.3 where jailbreak isn't an option

16. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

I like the idea of the wirelessly syncing to iTunes via wi-fi or something. That would be an awesome and very useful feature for me and i suspect it would for a lot of other users.

17. LoganT macrumors 68020

I have 3.1.3 and I have it jailbroken.

18. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

spiritjb.com

What would make OS4 perfect for me? Root user access. Never going to happen, but it would be amazing. Jailbreaking will do for now.

19. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

spirit jailbreak. it works great

20. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

21. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

dudeofblokes