What will my MBP support?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevo8, Jan 1, 2009.

1. stevo8 macrumors 6502

I have a older MBP that has served me well, but I am getting more and more into photography and as I do I am finding that my mbp is having a considerably tougher time keeping up. I had more ram installed(from 1gb to 2) about a year and a half ago. At that time I was told that my computer would only accept 2gb and wouldnt recognize anymore. I was wondering if this is true and/or if anything has changed? Im trying to put off upgrading as I just really dont have the money to right now so any suggestions would be great.

heres my specs.

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP11.0055.B08
    SMC Version: 1.2f10
    Serial Number: W8610037VJ1
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

BANK 0/DIMM0:

Size: 1 GB
    Type: DDR2 SDRAM
    Speed: 667 MHz

BANK 1/DIMM1:

Size: 1 GB
    Type: DDR2 SDRAM
    Speed: 667 MHz

2. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

We are running the same machine in the same configuration (though the video card my be different in mine, it was an upgrade at the time of purchase). It is true, our machines can only use 2GB of RAM. As I understand, the 2 GB is a chipset limitation, so you're stuck.

What exactly is your machine having a hard time keeping up with?

3. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a dell monitor hooked up to it about 95% of the time which I use to edit photos on(CS3 and LightRoom) and then I use the 15" monitor to watch TV and movies on. When I have more then one pic up in CS3 and im jumping back and forth I get a lot of the spinning rainbow thing.

4. pnyc macrumors 6502

There really isn't much you can do. If you're working on hi-res photos in Photoshop and have some other stuff running at the same time things are gonna get slower.

5. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah Im thinking about moving to a 2.4GHz or 2.66GHz 20" Imac and going with 4GB ram. I think that would be plenty to keep the wheel from spinning. Its really not a huge deal yet, but it does get rather annoying.

6. hhlee macrumors 6502

crucial.com is a good site to get your ram information (for the future). i've edited photos on my mini and/or my SR mbp. they're both slower but i think its mostly due to the hard drive speeds rather than the actual crunching. i'm in the same boat as you though, i'm thinking about getting an imac for better flow in editing.

7. BioCore macrumors regular

If you are plugged into the adaptor which I am sure you are then you could make sure that you have "Best Performance" in the energy saver settings.

System Preference >> Energy Saver >> Optimization >> Best Performance (from menu)

I have noticed that when my macbook pro is slow I can usually just enable the best performance and it will speed things right up.

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Check out Activity Monitor while you're working on particularly slow photography stuff. Are the CPUs maxed out?

A lot of photography work involves big files, and a lot of it is limited by hard drive speed. Laptop drives are slow at the best of times, and as your drive fills up it will slow even more.

Have you considered running your photos off an external eSata drive? You'd have to buy an eSata adaptor (alternatively go Firewire 800 - unfortunately your MacBook Pro doesn't have this built in).

9. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

I recently purchased this eSata Expresscard for my MBP and it works great. Firestarter is right, your HD could be a bottleneck.