What will steve do if the iPhone fails?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by papadopolis1024, Apr 30, 2007.

1. papadopolis1024 macrumors 6502

I can see him now he goes down to the local apple store (with a mask on) and askes for 1 million iPhones. in cash.

But really what would he do?

2. CHROMEDOME macrumors regular

Absolutely nothing...just like every other apple failure. If the iPhone sucks the last person to say that is Steve, have you watched the last like 8 years of macworlds and wwdc? Steve is the best at ********ting.

3. papadopolis1024 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya actually I have watched every macworld keynote from 1999 to 2007. and no product really "failed" in that time frame.

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Don't forget this little number:

Attached Files:

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If the iPhone fails, AAPL will take a major hit, but Apple will either discontinue it or revise it (depending on how badly it fails and what the market looks like at the time), and business will go on as usual... Really, it's as simple as that.

6. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Hmm... these failures come to mind quickly. Any others?

1) Mighty mouse (seriously...its poo!)
    2) .mac (definitely a sinking ship)
    3) iTunes songs on mobile phone (wasn't it with Cingular?)...so little fanfare anymore that I can't recall the details...

I guess my point is two-fold. 1) There have been failures. 2) No one cares. When they have great products Apple is in the news with every move. The bad products are just accepted as part of the gamble.

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I don't see how it's a failure, it's the most popular mouse used with Macs out there...

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I dont think its a failure, but I do think its a bad mouse, and I don't see how the scroll ball ever passed Apple's quality control.

I dont think .Mac was really a failure either. Not hugely popular, sure, but it has quite a number of subscribers, and .Mac is pretty much pure profit for Apple.

Then the iTunes songs on a mobile phone... that was an Apple announcement, but not really an Apple product...

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Only because it comes free with every Mac (except the mini) and it's the only Apple mouse available.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Release Leopard and stop holding a new OS back from us...that'll teach him!

11. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I do not anticipate it being a dismal failure, but I believe it will not rise to the level of being the runaway success story that some have predicted.

12. neven macrumors 6502a

He'll post a heartfelt apology on this forum.

What do you think he'll do? Keep people working on iPhone 2G, sell a crapload of iPods and Macs, bask in his glory. Duh.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I predict it doing well in the US, since the phones over there are typically rubbish. I don't see it being very strong in other countries though.

14. Project macrumors 68020

I disagree. I think it will be huge in the UK. I have worked in a phone shop part time whilst at Uni and the likes of 3G really arent a big issue for the vast majority of customers who come through the door. Most people in this country choose phones for the looks believe it or not. Id say 80% because it looks stylish. 10% because of functionality, and 10% because they just need a phone. I guarantee you the swanky UI, Wifi, iPod, and design will win over many more hearts than who are disappointed with a 2mpx camera and 2.5G connection.

15. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Yup, for those reasons alone, iPhone will be huge.

16. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Does this observation hold true for phones that demand a premium (ie. are more than £100) and are tied to £30 a month tariffs?

I suspect people choose on looks for phones that come free and are on £30 and down plans.

I still think the iPhone needs HSDPA for it to succeed in the UK (given its price etc)

17. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I still think it's too big for the UK market. Girls and boys everywhere are buying the W880i rather than the N95 just because of size (and possibly some looks).

It will fail in Japan if it looks like that. I know, I asked all the Japanese.

18. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I completely agree - if people pay top pound for phones, they want the best (Nokia 8800 exception rule here). So they will want a 3MP minimum now. The will get the N95 otherwise, they really will. They want A2DP now too - they want the latest. Some people will spend £200 on a contract phone and £40 on a contract. They just will.

19. jwa276 macrumors regular

jwa276

This phone is going to be huge. There is one thing Apple has going that none of these other phone manufacturers have... brand image!

iPhone : X brand smartphone :: designer handbag : jcpenney handbag

"Oh, you got a smartphone.... Cool... You can take high res pictures n stuff... Oh it cost a lot less... that's cool..."
    vs.
    "You got an iPhone?! O.M.G. let me try that thing out! I wanna see what all this hype is about! How the hell did you afford that you sunnova bitch! Gimmie now! ASDFJKF"

Let's face it. Everyone wants to hold an iPhone in their hand whether they've decided they hate it or not. Especially all of the posters in this thread. Why else would you be browsing the iPhone forum?? :rolleyes:

I think the phone will be a huge success at first–regardless if it's actually a good phone or not. They will be selling like hotcakes and sold out everywhere. Time will tell in the long run, though, whether or not the project remains a success!

20. Troyte83 macrumors regular

it wont fail, the demand is too high. they will sell over a million phones before people even realize it isnt what they expected

21. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I think it'll definitely have a 'big bang' entrance, they'll sell a lot in the first month.

After that, it depends on, well, how good it is. How long does the battery last? How solid/fragile is it? How stable is the OS? How accurate is the gesture recognition in Multitouch? How easy is the touch-keyboard to use (a hugely important factor), especially for us txters.

Until we know these answers, we might as well be guessing Lotto numbers.

22. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Eh, it'll become a niché product, and he'll release a full screen iPod.

23. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

...therefore making it not a failure. :)

24. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

What he SHOULD do is just give me one of everything that apple sells.. and a hundred dollars as a penalty. Heh, and the same should happen for future disaster prone devices being launched by apple :D

25. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

wasnt a disaster at all! it seriously was the most beautiful computer ever to come out of apple.. with the exception of its tendencies to randomly start cracking