Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.mark.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2007
Jersey, C.I.
hey, I'm considering an atv but I'd like some advice.

Can anyone tell me what files atv will play. I'm aware that the file has to be in itunes but is that the only limitation? I've got a few mkv's and I've converted them to mp4's via qtpro using the passthrough video option. The resulting file is an mp4 which plays fine on my mac. Only problem is my ps3 won't play the file when I try and stream it - Will the atv?

bcmacsarecool

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2008
Yeah, I am curious what the :apple:TV will play, and I think I may have something to test my files out on before I purchase an :apple:TV in a few months.

To make sure the video files are compatible, if they play on my iPhone, will they for sure play on :apple:TV?

Thanks

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
hey, I'm considering an atv but I'd like some advice.

Can anyone tell me what files atv will play. I'm aware that the file has to be in itunes but is that the only limitation? I've got a few mkv's and I've converted them to mp4's via qtpro using the passthrough video option. The resulting file is an mp4 which plays fine on my mac. Only problem is my ps3 won't play the file when I try and stream it - Will the atv?

Create yourself a Patchstick and enjoy this:

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/List_of_file_formats_working_on_Apple_TV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.