What will the demand for used iPhones be when 3G is out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, May 12, 2008.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Like many here, I have an iPhone. I want a new 3G iPhone.
    What demand will there be once 3G is out for the old used iPhone?

I feel like now is the time to sell, before the average guy learns that a 3G iPhone is out within a few days/weeks. No?

Is there anyone who thinks people will be willing to buy a used iPhone for a decent price in a few weeks?

2. newyorksole macrumors 68020

All I know is that, if I didn't tell my friends that a new iPhone was coming, then they would be clueless or thinking a new iPhone is coming out that ONLY has bigger storage.

I think the 1st Gen iPhone will not be able to be sold when the 3G iPhone is public unless people can't wait for it or just think the 1st Gen iPhone looks nicer.

As soon as the new iPhone's release date is announced, I'm replacing this iPhone I have and selling the replaced one for $300 and putting it towards 3G!!!

3. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

but if you wait until a release date is announced then don't you think there will be no buyers?

4. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

this is why I just sold mine on ebay, I got $504 for it. I am putting it in savings and will apply it towards my 3G iPhone when it is released. I didnt want to loose money on it since there is still a demand. In the mean time I have a Nokia I can use.

5. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I think that the only people paying this price are people who aren't in the US.
    I never sold anything on ebay before.
    Are there any issues to be aware or concerned about re: selling an iPhone to someone overseas so you don't get scammed? Any customs issues with shipping?

Thanks.

6. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I think you'll be able to sell, but obviously the further out from release the more money you can sell it for.

As far as the average person, if they're someone who even watches tv, they know a new iphone is coming. Random family members have asked me if I've heard about it...that's when I knew it was getting a little out of control.

7. ibglowin macrumors regular

Um,

Since like 80% of the US has nothing but EDGE coverage, I'd say there will still be plenty of demand for iPhone 1.0 for quite some time.........

8. newyorksole macrumors 68020

See what people are forgetting is that 3G (if the pictures are true) can be turned on and off. Which means that people with 3G or EDGE can purchase this phone and when they go somewhere that does have 3G they can use it. The 3G iPhone will probably have significant hardware changes too, also making it more appealing to the consumer.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'd sell. Because soon a lot of people will have the same idea. Once news hits, you're then in a buyer's market, not a seller's market.

10. ibglowin macrumors regular

You don't have to manage 3G unless you want to conserve your battery life. 3G will eat it up 4 times faster than EDGE. If its (3G) not around then it automatically selects the EDGE network.

The new iPhone is reported to have a true GPS chip for turn by turn real time directions. It may have an increase in memory but thats a long shot rumor. If the spy pics are real the new phone will have a slightly different shape, non recessed headphone and you will have a color option for the first time. :cool: