What will the Genius Bar do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prodo123, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I'm thinking of bringing my BTO MBP to the Genius Bar.
    The SD card slot was malfunctioning before, but now it's completely busted. Formatting doesn't help, the disk isn't even recognized on the log, cannot mount, etc. This is obviously a hardware problem, which means only the Genius Bar can reasonably fix it.

The second is static background noise on line-out. This happens regardless of current volume or if the computer is grounded/plugged in or not. I'm an audiophile musician, so it's really noticeable. But this is common with lo-fi setups, so maybe this is normal. Annoying nevertheless.

I bought this computer used (albeit 3 weeks old), and had my own hard drive installed in it. The warranty has been fully transferred and is valid until summer of 2012.

What will most likely happen? If they end up replacing the whole thing, will I end up with a normal off-the-shelf MacBook Pro? What will happen to my hard drive? Will I have to pay if they replace the logic board?

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

My best guess is they'll ether order a new logic board and replace it in shop (for the SD card slot issues) or send it into the depot for a 3 day repair. They don't replace the machine straight off the bat, you have to have the same issue repaired 3 times.

In regards to the audio hiss, try a different pair of headphones. It's a well documented fact that quite a few on the market cause excessive line noise.

3. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

My studio headphones do not have this issue with any other devices. After all, they're made for music production.

4. Alchemyy macrumors newbie

They will just replace the logic board. I have had mine fixed a few times (as have friends) and this seems to be the common procedure.