What will the Gulftown Mac Pro cost

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MacApple21, Oct 16, 2009.

1. MacApple21 macrumors member

MacApple21

If Apple choose to update the Mac Pro before the end of Q1 10, what will the price for a hexa core model then be?

I don't know if this has been discussed in another thread, but I haven't been able to find a good discussion about this topic

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Digitimes says it'll reach 1499$ but it's still TBA. I guess we will see 4, 6 and 12 core models of Mac Pro because Gulftown may be more expensive than current (Bloomfield, Gainestown) CPUs are and I think Apple wants to sell cheaper Mac Pro plus iMac's move to quad-core is still unclear

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

There are no real details yet. The only speed that has been talked about is 2.4GHz for 6 core processors. They aren't a replacement for quad core processors, there will be 32nm quads too. So the prices are going to be high and clock speeds likely lower.

4. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

This topic is highly speculative. But considering Apple's previous marketing approaches to Mac Pro and Power Mac one could find good arguments for a limited list of models.

Because of the wide distribution of single threaded software they will most likely have at least two different clock speeds. So almost certainly you will not see 4, 6, 8 and 12 core versions with a bunch of different speeds.

I could see them go to 6,8 and 12 cores with different speeds on the lower models and only one speed on the 12 core.

Based on this kind of scheme I would expect them to set the base price between the current lowest Quad and the lowest Octad.

5. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Well, if Apple followed the plan they had been on from 1990 ~ 2008 then it would keep the same basic price structure and point as it is now. That said, the ridiculous price hikes they pulled in 2009 show Apple's people to either be responding to the fallen dollar and setting a new point & structure or to be mentally unstable. I personally favor the later explanation. :) So if they're unstable it'll be another hike. If they were readjusting for the fallen dollar on the international exchange and that was a satisfactory adjustment then we'll get more processor power for very close to the same price (at every machine point) as we have for the past 20 years prior to the 2009 price-debackle.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've seen similar reports of 133 x 18 for ~2.4 GHz on Gulftown. Of course the ES versions right now can overclock much higher too. There's enough overhead to bin out higher speed and priced ones.

US$999 - 1,499 sounds like the right ballpark. With $999 more than likely being the single socket one.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It can OC to over 6GHz

[​IMG]

8. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

maybe on Liquid nitrogen or the like . . . . . ;)

9. Bartman01 macrumors regular

Since we are in 'make believe' land, I would guess that they will drop 4 core chips completely from the MacPro given than all of the mobile processors will be probabaly updated to 4 core in the coming year.

That would leave the Mac Pro with 6/12 cores and the rest of the lineup with 4. I don't see Apple adding a 3rd configuration option of 8 cores given their penchant for fewer choices and leaving 'old' hardware behind.

As to cost - probably close to the same, with the processor speeds really being the deciding factor on 'good deal' or not.

10. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

11. G4DP macrumors 65816

12. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Price

Apple: "If you have to ask for the price then it isn't for you."

13. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

Its not named a Mac Casual or Mac Novice or Mac Noob or Mac Gamer. It is named Mac Pro and there are reasons for it.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

And those are?

15. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

it's not going anywhere unless Apple changes their "excellent" MP cooling =/

16. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

If it has to be explained, its probably not for you.

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's nice but I do work on my MacBook even though it lacks the Pro moniker. :p

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

It wouldn't fit their marketing scheme to market that way (a more honest approach :eek:). :p

They do use enterprise hardware, but cut corners in other areas that make it mid-grade, especially in the graphics selection. Then they overprice it (going by the current MP's). :rolleyes:

I certainly wouldn't expect a price drop in the next line. Similar at best, and the closer the cost to the current models, the respective clocks per processor are more likely to drop.